The requirement to file

Arlidar

Good afternoon. The fact that it is often on websites online services for mixing and mastering, you can meet this requirement to the files.

(Stereo files will be counted as two tracks of audio, for example 'Strings L & R' will be counted as two tracks.)

Explain please, who knows exactly what it means, it is clear that one stereo file is divided into two tracks, but why and what for?

I've not long ago ordered online session in the studio, they recorded musicians and sent me (Multitrack) as I asked, without any treatment, opened them and there Cubase the same picture, all the tracks are divided into two tracks. That is, for example, the bass is two tracks.

Not sure what you are asking. Are you saying the files that were sent to you have the Left and Right as separate MONO tracks, or its a STEREO track with L + R? For instruments recorded as DI (Direct In) or with one microphone, both tracks would be the same (there's no sense having stereo) until a stereo effect is applied to the track.

My mastering engineer told me to send him 24 bit stereo tracks of everything - even mono sources. No idea why - maybe MM can clarify.

I asked what exactly means the demand for sites for online mix.

(Stereo files will be counted as two tracks of audio, for example 'Strings L & R' will be counted as two tracks.)

Look closely at the screenshot, so look the files sent to me from the studio after recording.

I understand that this is a mono track.

What do you think is better to send to the studio to mix, stereo, or to divide it into mono.

timpani.png

Last edited:
Different tasks -- If you're sending in tracks for mixing, the studio is counting stereo tracks as two individual tracks. For mastering, it's (almost universally) expected to be working from a stereo track (count it as two mono tracks if you want, but I don't know anyone who charges differently for stereo or dual mono).

Mixing, they're socking for setup, keeping in mind the CPU load, etc., etc., etc. 10 stereo tracks is exactly the same as 20 mono tracks as far as resources are concerned.

Now if you're getting tracks from someone that are stereo with a mono source, that's another story. A senseless and mysterious one. Or if Cubase is treating a mono source as a stereo source (which is possible I'm sure), that's yet another.

If that (above) is a mono track, I can't tell by looking at it. Actually, if I look closely, the waveforms don't look identical. If you invert one and it cancels out, it's mono. Just send one. If there is side information and you want to keep it, send the stereo file.

You want to say that out of the studio, I had to get stereo files? Or not necessarily.

Yes maybe tell or advise, good studio, where there is an online service mixing and mastering.

It doesn't matter! Some strings source, samples and synths have a stereo output, panned left to right like a real orchestra, so that stem will be stereo. A single voice would usually be a single mono track, but if these were recorded in cubase (or the others) it's often simpler to record them all on the same format, and you get a 'stereo' track that is really two identical mono tracks in one wrapper. I don't really care, cubase treats them exactly the same in the mixer, apart from pan becoming a balance control, which works the same in use. The only time I convert stereo tracks like this to mono, or deliberately record them as mono is for file size reasons, so if I have twenty stereo tracks containing duplicated mono sources, it takes twice as long to upload to a client, so even with fibre internet, sometimes it's worth doing. If you have the files, then it really doesn't matter. Cubase will convert them if it makes you happy. I wouldn't bother!

Back