rendering tracks

GuitardedMark

What is the preferred format to render tracks to? I thought I heard once that if your rendering with the intention of burning a cd than wav is the best and if your going to play the music through a digital format (ipod, media player etc.) than it is better to go the Mp3 format. Is this true? Anyone know of a good resource that discusses the pros and cons of each format? Thanks!

I'd suggest always rendering to 24-bit PCM at the project's native sample rate -- THEN go to whatever the delivery format is going to be from there.

Forgive my noob questions, but what is 24-bit PCM? Are you saying I should render the track twice? Also, is it true I should be rendering to wav for cd and mp3 for digital use? Attached is a picture of the reaper rendering options that I have.

Untitled.jpg

Well, the first thing to remember is that MP3 is a lossy compressed format. I'd only ever convert to that immediately before delivery if you have to use that format. It has no place in the production process.

This means that you should mix down and "render" (render is a description in certain brands of software--it's not a phrase used in all DAWs) to an uncompressed format, i.e WAVE or PCM. (PCM is a generic file type of which WAVE is a subset--but by far the most commonly used subset).

As for the choice of 24 bit, that's also dependent on the software you use. Some are still locked at 24 bit integer for their "quality" work but many have now moved to 32 bit floating point operation and, where available, this is the way to go, again at the native sample rate.

Once you're finished your production, this is the time to convert to 16 bit 44.1 stereo wave format for a "glass master" for CD burning and (cough, gag) MP3 if you must. There's a whole other debate about the best way to achieve the conversion of bit depth and sample rate--to dither or not to dither and so on!

However, MP3 should only ever be a delivery format--it has no place whatsoever in the production or mastering process.

Bob

Well, the first thing to remember is that MP3 is a lossy compressed format. I'd only ever convert to that immediately before delivery if you have to use that format. It has no place in the production process.

This means that you should mix down and "render" (render is a description in certain brands of software--it's not a phrase used in all DAWs) to an uncompressed format, i.e WAVE or PCM. (PCM is a generic file type of which WAVE is a subset--but by far the most commonly used subset).

As for the choice of 24 bit, that's also dependent on the software you use. Some are still locked at 24 bit integer for their "quality" work but many have now moved to 32 bit floating point operation and, where available, this is the way to go, again at the native sample rate.

Once you're finished your production, this is the time to convert to 16 bit 44.1 stereo wave format for a "glass master" for CD burning and (cough, gag) MP3 if you must. There's a whole other debate about the best way to achieve the conversion of bit depth and sample rate--to dither or not to dither and so on!

However, MP3 should only ever be a delivery format--it has no place whatsoever in the production or mastering process.

Bob

Thanks bob! Any pointers on a easy to pickup mastering guide? I use Reaper and I want to focus more on the recording and writing of songs and less on the production so I don't want to devote too much time to this. Thanks!

So I've rendered the same track multiple times using different settings and they all sound the same to me o_O I hate to admit it but I cannot noticeably tell a difference on a blind test. What is dithering and noise shaping? Also to burn to a cd, should i render to 24 bit (which I record in) or 16 bit?

Also, when posting to sites like soundclick, should I render directly to mp3? Thanks!

I'd suggest always rendering to 24-bit PCM at the project's native sample rate -- THEN go to whatever the delivery format is going to be from there.

You deserve an award for best answer. That is exactly what I was going to say until I saw your post. I'll rep ya.

So after I render to 24 bit PCM in wave format, should I render it again with my daw (reaper) to upload to a site like soundclick? Also, what is dithering and noise shaping useful for?

Back