Question about stem mastering

Stems together are a finished mix. Mixing is already finished at that point. The stems are simply elements of the mix. In the most basic terms, usually the vocal stem and the instrumental stem. Can be broken up into percussion, vocals, guitars, keys, stingers, etc., etc., etc.

Last edited:
I've never understood what a stem is or why you'd use it, but always have been afraid to ask...

I just record tracks and mix them.

So are they just the exported individual tracks if you want someone else to mix them?

Usually stems would be groups of similar or related tracks.
You might have a percussion stem which would be a stereo render of the whole kit, then a rhythm stem that has all your guitars and keyboards.

There are no rules, but generally it's groups making up the final mix, rather than just the final stereo mix.

Cool. I can't imagine ever using this as a home recorder. I use groups only sometimes if I decide to mix all drums separate. At most my tracks have one group track (drums)...the rest are like mono guitar, mono vocal, etc. I come from recording on 4 tracks and 8 tracks so this stem stuff makes no sense. On those machines you record a track, mix it, and move on. Maybe bouncing drums on a 4-track is a similar concept. But stems seem more like a pro studio thing than home recording to me.

Although it seems like it would be added convenience, I can imagine a mastering engineer not wanting stems. lol. Massive would be the man to ask.

I'll usually send stems to someone if they're tracking parts for me.
It's a nice middle ground between just sending a reference wav that they're stuck with, and spending a lot of time bouncing every single track.

At least with stems they can have some degree of control over the headphone mix.

Although it seems like it would be added convenience, I can imagine a mastering engineer not wanting stems. lol. Massive would be the man to ask.

You're probably right...I think most mastering engineers want your mix, and not pieces of the mix that they would then assemble into a mix. Maybe there's times when both mix and stems might be beneficial to an ME...?

Not sure when the stem thing became a common occurrence...but I get the feeling that it might be the result of DAWs becoming more capable with high track counts, which makes mixing pretty unruly. I can't imagine trying to mix 80 or 100+ individual tracks. Stems simplify that.
Of course, it's not much different than groups, but when you need to pass things around, stems are actual mixes of the groups.

I think also when music needs to be mixed for movies and multimedia type projects that evolve as they are being made...stems are a quicker/easier way to remix things while still holding on to the initial intent of the original mix.

I'm still in the sub-three dozen track count stage with most stuff.. I've never bothered with stems, though I will group some things to simplify things at times. Of course, I tend to "condense" things down before I even start to mix which keeps the track count down.

I'm not necessarily a fan of working from stems, but it happens. Except for the instrumental & vocal stems -- That's very typical for damn near all label work (where in the end, they want an instrumental set along with the normal set). Motion picture stuff -- Everything. Drum stem, guitars, vocals, keys & pads, etc. And you'll notice it in a lot of motion pictures where a tune might become a "theme" of sorts and you hear elements of a particular tune throughout but not actually hear the tune as a whole except for the credits.

Stems are just renders of groups. I used to archive stems as well as the actual mix, because the minute a software update robs you of a plugin or the ability to open the original mix session, the client decides that they want to re-mix something (just turn the bass up, leave everything else the same).

The game Rock Band uses stems. That's where most of the isolated parts of famous songs on youtube come from. for example:

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

KISS - Detroit Rock City (Vocals Only) - YouTube

Back