Programs That Can Adjust A Song to a Target Average Loudness?

Adobe Audition CC has the ability to adjust dynamics of an audio file to a set target average loudness, which is pretty cool, even if it does make me a little nervous about what decisions the software is making about dynamics processing.

But since you have to pay a subscription for Audition, since it's part of the Creative Cloud, I am looking for the average loudness targeting in other audio software. Is anyone aware of other programs that do this?

I am aware that even Audacity can measure average loudness with an available plugin (ACX). And you can sort of do trial-and-error with compression/normalization - checking, undoing, re-editing, and checking until you reach the average target loudness. Just wondering if other programs have the automatic processing like AA.

Thanks!

Ozone 8 will do it to a few preset targets. Of course, it depends on your mix whether it’s going to succeed. And you may not agree with the target so then you’re back to tweaking and measuring, but it is good for getting an acceptable level on the first pass.

Reaper with SWS has non-destructive loudness normalization actions. You get to pick your favorite compressor/limiter/whatever to deal with peaks.

Adobe Audition CC has the ability to adjust dynamics of an audio file to a set target average loudness, which is pretty cool, even if it does make me a little nervous about what decisions the software is making about dynamics processing.

But since you have to pay a subscription for Audition, since it's part of the Creative Cloud, I am looking for the average loudness targeting in other audio software. Is anyone aware of other programs that do this?

I am aware that even Audacity can measure average loudness with an available plugin (ACX). And you can sort of do trial-and-error with compression/normalization - checking, undoing, re-editing, and checking until you reach the average target loudness. Just wondering if other programs have the automatic processing like AA.

Thanks!

WaveLab Pro from Steinberg does exactly what you are looking for. It works in audio montage and is called loudness normalizer. If you put an number of songs in the audio montage it looks for the song with the largest loudness and levels all other songs to this reference song. And all of your songs sound equally loud and you do not need to adjust the volume of one of the songs of the production any more while playback.
WaveLab isn't cheap, but no subscription. You pay for it once and that's it.

Back