Pro Tools 10 Mastering

Zach Frazier

Hey I was wondering if it would be possible to master some drum recordings in Pro Tools 10 with just stock plugins? If so please tell me which ones they would be. I know there are a lot of available plugins for mastering and it pretty much depends on what type of music you are recording and what sound you are looking for. But just wanted to see if there was anything out there that I wouldn't have to pay for yet.

That depends on what you're mastering for. If you're mastering for CD (producing cue/bin or DDP 2.0 files) then, no, Pro Tools doesn't have the features. If you're just audio finalizing then you can do a lot with stock plugins, but a proper mastering limiter would be a good addition. My normal processing chain includes a good parametric eq and a good mastering limiter. It could include a number of other things depending on what the material needs.

it depends what you want to master for, is it a single? or a whole album? an EP? that's the important thing. Agree with what bouldersoundguy said

The limiter that comes with PT10 is the most god awful limiter I've ever heard. I suggest investing in something else unless you're mastering (read: finalizing audio) for something that doesn't usually need to be that loud, such as jazz or acoustic music.

If you're working with Rock or Metal, Maxim limiter is such garbage it should be buried and forgotten about. I highly suggest purchasing SOME limiter other than that one if you're looking to get anything commercially loud (that's assuming your mix is good, of course).

Slate FGX, Waves L2, PSP Vintage Warmer... I've used all those before and they work great. Pick one and find the cash money to invest in one if you're looking to get something loud enough to keep up with the Loudness Wars.

That being said, you DO have the tools, they're just not good in my opinion. Most other DAWs other than Pro Tools I've liked the stock plug-ins for, but I've always hated PTs plug-in selection.

Love the program, hate it's stock selection. xD

Back