PC compression?

scorpio01169

Ok I have my mix sounding how I want, I've mix down to CD and everything sounds good in my car and on home stereo. But as soon as I upload to my pic, my mixes sound squashed to hell. What is going on here?

Are you ripping the audio CD into MP3 format? What are you using to "upload" to your PC?

I think we need more info than "uploaded to my pc". What software are you using to rip the CD? Are you going to lossless wave file or some lossy format? Are you using software that equalizes levels between songs (like the "Sound Check" feature in iTunes).

Tbh, I inserted the disc into my laptop and it prompts me to rip it and I didn't even bother to look at the options. But I'm remembering now what I did wrong

I just learned... Verify your bit rates are jiving. If recorded in 44, make sure it comes back 44 bits. I recorded in 40 something and did same thing, uploaded and it was coming in 32. Big loss and flatness.software changes that you need to verify it remains the same.Cd is always 32 I think.

I just learned... Verify your bit rates are jiving. If recorded in 44, make sure it comes back 44 bits. I recorded in 40 something and did same thing, uploaded and it was coming in 32. Big loss and flatness.software changes that you need to verify it remains the same.Cd is always 32 I think.

CD is 44.1k samples per second, 16 bit. Most DAWs process at 32 bit floating point.

And it's bit depth -- Bit rate is a completely different thing.

That said - If your sample rate is 44.1kHz and all of a sudden it drops to 32kHz (can't imagine why, but there were 32k recorders out there at one point and they can save some space for recording meetings and what not), then you could certainly expect to see a sliced off spectrum around 16kHz -- Much like you'd see with MP3 compression (at whatever bitrate you're encoding).

If you're in 24 or 32 bit depth, and you go down to 16, you shouldn't notice much. 8-bit and you're going to notice.

Back