Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ozone 6 thoughts....

Thanks

Ozone 6 thoughts....

Sign in to disable this ad
    Went to Guitar Center and the workers there were speaking really highly of Ozone 6 for mastering. Can I get some thoughts and feedback? Thanks

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    I've always been convinced that if you want to do as much damage as possible, as efficiently and expeditiously as possible to an otherwise perfectly decent mix, load up Ozone.

Otherwise -- I know a few guys who like the limiting or the dither.
    John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Thanks
    I think it's easy to use Ozone to mess up your songs, but I also believe it has the tools necessary to do a decent mastering job; especially in the home recording realm. If you use the presets, you'll probably ruin your songs like Massive says. If you take the time to learn when and how to use the tools, it's possible to get your collection of songs to work together.

For Ozone, the dither process is a no-brainer. Turn it on and don't think about it. I love the limiter; set the ceiling to where you want and then vary the threshold to match perceived volume between songs. It is simple and it works good. The EQ is pretty good, but it does take some time to get a feel for how it responds.

What I don't like is:
    - The Master Reverb. WFT is that?
    - The Multi-band compressor. At first it sounds good, but after listening to your songs for a while, your ears get tired. And it takes a lot of work to set it where you need for each song. I don't think it is worth it.
    - The Stereo widener thing. Completely unnecessary. Acts weird. Sounds like garbage.
    - The Harmonic Exciter. To me, it's like another MBC. Adds to overall harshness and fatigues the ears.

The two most important things you need to master an album are not in Ozone; a decent listening environment and well-trained ears. This is where I'm at right now. I don't have enough trust in my room to think I'm going to put out a good product on my next CD. But I'm debating whether my tunes are worth the money to have professionally mastered. I recently finished mastering a cd of 12 songs using Ozone 5 and Wavelab Elements. In my studio, they sound great, but I have yet to take them elsewhere to see if they translate.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've never heard of a professional mastering engineer using it, personally I'm not a fan either, it sounds crap on pretty much anything.

Thanks
    Atleast at the guitar center by my place, the people who sell stuff doesn't really know much about audio stuff. You would think they would be pretty knowledgeable, but they are not. So be careful abut what they tell you.

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    I certainly didn't want to be the first GC slammer in the thread, but I'll happily be the second.

I recently walked into a GC and -- in the "Pro Sound" area, mind you -- Talking with the floor manager -- asked for an AES cable.

"A what?"

"An AES cable...? AES/EBU...? Digital audio...?"

"Oh, a S/PDIF?"

"No - an AES/EBU - "Pro" digital. Looks like a microphone cable."

"We've got plenty of mic cable..."

"I don't need a mic cable though."

Blah, blah, blah -- I finally found one on the Hosa rack. But CTFO, man... Am I the only one in the Chicago area that uses AES/EBU cables? They've got plenty of digital equipment with AES I/O...

30 years ago, you could sort of count on the knowledge. Or maybe I was just dealing with people who had some sort of an idea. These days, I don't even walk through the door unless I know exactly what I need and know where to find it.
    John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Thanks
    I find Ozone 6 to be a great tool. Don't go too extreme on the settings and you'll be fine.

Thanks
    In my experience, its a not bad tool to show you how a lot of different effects are impacting your mix.

For me, a basement warrior only mixing for myself, I find it useful when I am unsure on which direction to take a mix. I find all the presets to be exaggerated versions of what you might want. Its easier to hear what is happening when its exaggerated. Which is why alot of people will tell you to PUSH up a setting until its audible and then BACK DOWN a little. The BEST mastering.. is the mastering you don't really hear.. or at least subtle. The presets go over the top and aren't great as is.. but as you shuffle through you'll hear things that strike you as interesting. At that point I'll go through and start tweaking everything and backing it down.

I have also been known to.. ... .. .. load ozone to find some presets that I like, then duplicate it with other more favored plug-ins. LMAO
    Last edited by VSpaceBoy; 01-15-2015 at 06:23.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Master View Post
    I certainly didn't want to be the first GC slammer in the thread, but I'll happily be the second.

I recently walked into a GC and -- in the "Pro Sound" area, mind you -- Talking with the floor manager -- asked for an AES cable.

"A what?"

"An AES cable...? AES/EBU...? Digital audio...?"

"Oh, a S/PDIF?"

"No - an AES/EBU - "Pro" digital. Looks like a microphone cable."

"We've got plenty of mic cable..."

"I don't need a mic cable though."

Blah, blah, blah -- I finally found one on the Hosa rack. But CTFO, man... Am I the only one in the Chicago area that uses AES/EBU cables? They've got plenty of digital equipment with AES I/O...

30 years ago, you could sort of count on the knowledge. Or maybe I was just dealing with people who had some sort of an idea. These days, I don't even walk through the door unless I know exactly what I need and know where to find it.
    This kind of surprises me. I worked there for a seasonal gig, and they made me get "certified" in whatever department I was going to work in. This meant taking extensive tests that you had to score 90%+ on to be considered proficient in that department.

There was a lot of reading, too. Like, several 50 page packets that I had to read just to get into the guitar department. I've played guitar for almost 10 years, and good lord, I thought I was an idiot after reading all that info.

Maybe the employee you dealt with was just super lazy and had a tab open with the answers to all of the quizzes so that he could pass them and get to work sooner... I took a little more pride in it. I got certified in all but the drums department before I left there after 2 months of working (only because I ran out of time, not because I don't care for drums). That was my favorite part was studying their material to learn more about music gear and whatnot.

Thanks
    I have Wavelab elements, and it seems it won't let me use some of the cubase plugins, I also own Ozone 4, and can upgrade to Ozone 6 for $99. I'm wondering if I already have everything I need?

thoughts?

thanks.
    Music - All your ears can eat! Zero Carbs, Zero Calories, Zero Cholesterol, Zero trans Fats.. ....

Thread Information