Thread: Need Some Advice!

Thanks

Need Some Advice!

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I've posted....you know...life.

Anyway, I've purchased a new studio that is working great for me but I could use some pointers on specific mastering techniques for my style.

What would you guys do: Eq, Stereo Image, Dynamics, Limiting, etc...

I'm just doing this by ear, but it would be nice to learn a technique per say to hone my skill a little better.

The song I posted is Small Town USA. I've mastered it to the best of my ability. Thank you very much for your help/advice, it's greatly appreciated!

Respectfully

Keith
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rock/Hard Rock Music at http://www.keithheimericks.com/

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    Long day, tired ears and what not so just casually listening at relatively low volume.

The first thing that stands out like mad is that there's something weird going on in the low end. Like a Haas filter on the bass guitar or something. That's most likely a mix issue (unless you're using Ozone or something like that, in which case all bets are off).

Thanks
    I like the room sounds/reverbs and seems EQ'd well. For my taste though, dynamics are way too smashed and there's some weird phase issues - mostly with the bass like MM mentioned. Sounds like you used a stereo widener and went too far with it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to leddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keithersgsx2003 View Post
    What would you guys do: Eq, Stereo Image, Dynamics, Limiting, etc...
    Do people tinker with the stereo image at the mastering stage? I consider that something to be done when mixing.
    Boogeymen Productions
    www.boogeypro.com

Thanks
    Sounds way too over processed by something. I also hope you are not trying to master with Ozone and going way too far...

Post the recording before master. That is the only way to give insight into what is going on here.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Do people tinker with the stereo image at the mastering stage? I consider that something to be done when mixing.
    This ^, I went through the image stage once and then realized it seemed to mess things up more then improve them.

Alan.
    Last edited by jimmys69; 1 Week Ago at 21:16.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    I'd say (1) minor adjustments / enhancements on occasion to help put a bunch of different recordings into a more common space (2) processing either only the sum or difference signal (for whatever reason -- de-essing -- the mid if the vocal, the side if the cymbals just for example) which "by design" is going to affect the image to some extent (3) -- Uh... I had a third one in mind that I "misplaced" by the time I typed the first two.

Again, unless we're talking about Ozone or something - The maul-the-band Haas filter on that thing... In over 20 years of doing this (and another 15 of engineering in general), I can count on zero hands how many times I wanted to put a Haas filter on low end content. On the flip side, I can't even imagine how many hands I'd need to count the number of "Ozone'd" mixes I had to have de-Ozone'd because someone used a preset - that had a Haas filter - on the low end - and didn't notice how much it screwed up the low end.

Sorry - I tend to go off the deep end when I start talking about Ozone...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Master View Post
    I'd say (1) minor adjustments / enhancements on occasion to help put a bunch of different recordings into a more common space (2) processing either only the sum or difference signal (for whatever reason -- de-essing -- the mid if the vocal, the side if the cymbals just for example) which "by design" is going to affect the image to some extent (3) -- Uh... I had a third one in mind that I "misplaced" by the time I typed the first two.

Again, unless we're talking about Ozone or something - The maul-the-band Haas filter on that thing... In over 20 years of doing this (and another 15 of engineering in general), I can count on zero hands how many times I wanted to put a Haas filter on low end content. On the flip side, I can't even imagine how many hands I'd need to count the number of "Ozone'd" mixes I had to have de-Ozone'd because someone used a preset - that had a Haas filter - on the low end - and didn't notice how much it screwed up the low end.

Sorry - I tend to go off the deep end when I start talking about Ozone...
    I hear you man. I am also a Ozone hater.

I don't get how that got so popular. Maybe because it falsify gives users too much to work with?
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    I've always said - It's only as dangerous as the person using it. That said - it's pretty dangerous.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Master View Post
    I've always said - It's only as dangerous as the person using it. That said - it's pretty dangerous.
    It stands to reason anyone looking for a quick and easy tool like that won't know what they're listening for. Consequently, anyone who knows what they're listening for won't use a tool like that.
    Boogeymen Productions
    www.boogeypro.com

Thread Information