Multiple EQ's

I boost and cut EQ before the compression. If you boost after the compression, the notes in that boosted area will jump out a bit.

Interesting, I normally try and avoid EQ before compression because it will affect how to the compressor works. Depending how hard you're hitting the compressor, wouldn't boosting before compression be flattened out to some extent by the action of the compressor? IDK, more than one way to skin a cat.

edit: Thinking about it, it's probably highly situational as to wether compression would 'undo' some of the boosting.

I don't use any 'go to or default here. That (above) is my 'logic in sorting it out- One, consider the comparitivelly large swings in level of a signal. Now, how much is a few dips or boost is to the relative level difference to the dectector? Not much a lot of times.
Typically I'll do the biggest eq fixes first in the process, then pick or add what compresion it seems to need. That alone tends to put eq first in a chain before looking at compressor.

Back