Maximiser/Limiter

Shourn

Hello,

Just a quick question (hopefully)....

I am currently mixing/"mastering" a demo for my friend's band and am currently attempting to "master" said demo. I am using cubase 5 and have come across the Maximiser plug-in. The controls/settings are very similar to the Limiter but it clearly has a different result.

What I was interested in is what are the technical differences between the two? How does the Maximiser treat the audio differently to the Limiter?

Thanks in advance for your help

You got me curious, so I Googled a bit and found a thread here on HR.com:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mastering/limiter-maximizer-324512/

I just started fiddling with Waves L1 + Ultramaximizer, and I agree with the sentiments in that thread...it's just a fancy word for a limiter. It may have some upwards compression as well, where it makes the quieter parts louder. So far in my dealings with L1, it seems like a way to suck all of the dynamics out of your mix. But it'll be REALLY LOUD! So you'll have that going for you...

All I know is that it's the only mastering tool I need!*

* The only mastering tool I vaguely know how to use.

the trick is to limit the crap out of it, whilst it remains sonically perfect without anyone even noticing that you limited it.

To be fair, the Waves L series limiters are some of the most 'transparent' out there. I use the L3's all the time....

Check out the L3-16 Multimaximizer. That joker is rad. I use it in mastering. Absolutely killer plug.
L3-16 Multimaximizer Multiband Mastering Plugin | Waves

Also, as far as the mention of losing dynamics.... you cannot compress or limit without losing some dynamics. That's impossible. With both, you are raising the volume of the entire program/source material, but reducing or limiting the highest level.... so, this is always going to reduce the dynamic range. That isn't a bad thing, unless you go too far. So don't be afraid of using either. :) As far as how audible it is, well, that has a lot to do with attack, release, ratio, knee, threshold, etc... that's a whole slew of other topics :)

Seriously check out the L3-16 Multi

Big Waves L3 Multimaximizer fan here. There's a manual that comes with it that explains everything. Worth every penny.

I'm learning to get along with L1. It really is a great limiter, but there's a fine line for me between loud enough and lifeless. So far it's helped for me to put a gentle compressor before it. I just suck at hearing what attack/release to use for a compressor across the master bus.

What do L2 and L3 add that L1 doesn't have?

I'm surprised everyone is diggin' the L3. That was the only limiter I had available to me for awhile, and the thing would just work like shit. It always caused these really awful sounding phase artifacts that fucked with my stereo imaging, and made my mix sound terrible.

Now I've got several limiters that I can use, and none of them have had that issue on my mixes (I even went back to those old mixes to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong and that it was in fact the L3 -- it was).

The L1 and L2 I love, though. Those and Slate's FGX limiter work freaking fantastic for me.

I have an Onyx 430i tube limiter and a Titan 410x Precision Maximizer that I have yet to play with. Looking forward to it.
In Reason, there's both a limiter and a maximizer, and yes the maximizer does some bottom gain that the limiter doesn't. But the maximizer also adds phase issues and a lot of midrange.
The Selig Leveling amp does a better job, though. Set the top and set the bandwidth (say -3dB peak and -28dB floor) then set the curve for the difference (25dB or a little less if it starts to add "flavor") and it brings everything to equal. Really brings the volume up transparently.
I also have a C1-L1 plug that has a limiting feature, but it's a pretty good compressor for tracks and I haven't played with it at the mastering stage yet either.
Mastering is not all that expensive. Figure a 4 minute song will cost you around $50. Worth it to have it done professionally if you want things to sound their best.

The waves L-series plugins are all limiters. They call them maximizers, but maximizer doesnt actually mean anything specific.

If you were going to use a BBE sonic maximizer, it is a completely different thing all together.

The waves L-series plugins are all limiters. They call them maximizers, but maximizer doesnt actually mean anything specific.

If you were going to use a BBE sonic maximizer, it is a completely different thing all together.

Had one of those sonic maximizers years ago (the old black face unit), and never got it to work. I mean it's really simple operation, Contour and Definition. Just could never hear any difference when it was on vs off. Bought it used, so maybe it had just been broken...

It was broken, if you turn the definition past 5, the paint should have peeled off the wall and your eye would have started bleeding.

A limiter is a thing

Maximizer is a marketing term.

Back