Mastering Shootout: LANDR, Mastering Box, AAMS vs Real People

So there's some sort of funky flaw in AAMS. I don't think I'm being trolled here (yet) so I'll let this lose here. As we all know, when I put my mix in, which was bounced at low levels (I mixed that original song to 0VU, calibrated to 0VU = -18dbFS), the master that AAMS churned out was dark and lifeless. It's apparently not supposed to do this, but it did for me.

But then after some (pretty unkind in my books - hopefully no because of me) banter with the creator of AAMS on an audio blog I started (fooled him, he was the only reader ... hahaha) and again in the Reaper forums, I decided to give in and run the same mix through AAMS with the only difference being that I normalized it to -0.5dbFS beforehand. The results from AAMS were way better. So - yeah. It would be interesting to see if others get the same results (better results when the final mix is hot vs not).

I tried one of my songs thru the AAMS program and it sounded terrible. I tried the same song file in the LANDR program and got a really nice sounding (to me) end result. I'm not saying AAMS is bad because I had great results from it with other songs. After many test recordings I got mixed results from both programs. They'll sometimes put out a nice mix, sometimes not. It's fairly new technology and both programs are still in development. As with anything cutting edge, bugs need to be worked out. I bought in to both programs to get some experience with them.

Back