Mastering engineer conning me?

gazukmale

Ok im. confused...
My mastering engineer sent me a 16 bit wav file...I sent this to cdbaby for distribution. CD baby ask for a 16 bit wav file and no other format.
In conversation with the mastering engineer over Facebook chat.
He has said that i shouldn't of sent the 16 bit wav file out for digital release because it was meant for cd replication and will be too loud.

I'm really confused because i thought there was no difference in the 16 bit wav file whether it be for replication or to be converted/encoded by music stores to mp3?

Am i missing something or has the mastering engineer messed up and creates a mix too hot and is now trying to change the file ?

Thanks
Gaz

Well...I think he's telling you that you should specify what the audio files are going to be used for, and then he can provide the correct format for each...rather than have them do the conversions.

Not sure where you see a "con" happening...but then...when I read that you are communicating with a "mastering engineer" via Facebook...:D....anything is possible.

He could be coning you, but you should specify what format/medium a file is to be used for.

Not sure where you see a "con" happening...but then...when I read that you are communicating with a "mastering engineer" via Facebook...:D....anything is possible.
I can't believe how many people message me on FB... Drives me batty. But I guess it actually comes in semi-handy if I can't talk on the phone... Meh...

Anyway --

I'm not sure what he meant by it being "too loud" -- Unless he's one of those "-0.00001 dBFS" types... Which I guess is possible. You could suffer some clipping after conversion in theory. Why people export at the very top of the scale anyway...

That said, I would *think* that CDBaby would roll it back a half or so before conversion. THAT said, I have no idea if they actually do.

I haven't added anything of value to this thread, have I....

I can't believe how many people message me on FB... Drives me batty. But I guess it actually comes in semi-handy if I can't talk on the phone... Meh...

It just seems odd to have a concerned discussion via FB chat.
Phone...direct email...biz website...etc.

FB to me is and always will be a place for social exchanges (though I don't even use it for that), which is what it was meant to be...but lots of people try an use it for biz purposes. :D

I just got the feeling that the FB page WAS the mastering engineer's only business "storefront"...and if so, I wouldn't take him seriously...but that's me. :)

FB to me is and always will be a place for social exchanges (though I don't even use it for that), which is what it was meant to be...but lots of people try an use it for biz purposes. :D

FB originated as a place for social exchange, but it is a pretty useful place through which to conduct business. I'm sure that for some people FB will remain a place for social exchanges, but there is no particular reason why it should remain so for others.

Ha ha you are super old now.

Ha! Naw, he not old. Just doesn't communicate the way us young-ens do. lol

Not sure Miro is much older than I so whatever. Getting AARP mail myself...

I often communicate directly via FB Messenger with good friends and clients. Actually more than phone or text with some great friends that are not in US.

People should try that. Having friends-that is...

:)

It just seems odd to have a concerned discussion via FB chat.
Phone...direct email...biz website...etc.

I just got the feeling that the FB page WAS the mastering engineer's only business "storefront"...and if so, I wouldn't take him seriously...but that's me. :)
Totally knew where you were coming from -- But it's true. FB Messenger is damn near taking over. And no doubt, I'd rather be on the phone or something. But it happens - And I certainly don't want to alienate anyone from wanting to use it (although I *do* tend to mention "Hey, you might have a better chance actually getting in touch with me via e-mail or phone..." plenty).

Though at this point, I have not *yet* installed a web cam and web audio interface. But that comes up occasionally too. The future is here. I have no idea what they're going to call the *actual* future now, I mean - you know - in the future - which is now - Oh crap...

FB originated as a place for social exchange, but it is a pretty useful place through which to conduct business. I'm sure that for some people FB will remain a place for social exchanges, but there is no particular reason why it should remain so for others.

I kinda prefer emails ..... easier to attach large files plus I don't like the idea that absolutely nothing on FB is really private and secure.

Ha ha you are super old now.

Naa...it's got nothing to do with age. :)
I deal with IT shit at my day gig...and I'm totally wired into the whole internet superhighway crap.

I'm talking about mixing biz and pleasure.
FB, Twitter, Instagram are so bloated with self-absorbed idiocy...that I can't take any of it seriously, even though I know lots of people have come to use it for their biz too. Big companies figured that if everyone was hanging out on these sites...then let's take our biz there...and others have followed.

I'm mainly talking about treating your biz more professionally by having dedicated, biz-specific, communication sources/outlets...rather than mixing it in with comments about that party you were at last night or pics of your vacation. :)
I've seen "biz" FB pages...and it's still very often a social media free-for-all. Way too much useless junk to sift through.

Maybe it's just me...but I would rather conduct biz in a dedicated biz environment rather than have it be just another side-show on a social media site. ;)

But yeah...it's mainly the convenience of it for those who tend to live on the social media sites.

Oh...not to mention...I think a conversation by phone, where you can really talk and hear each other, cuts to the chase a lot faster and much more accurately...than endless text-based one-liners...but OMG!...who "talks" any more when they can text. :rolleyes:
It's like people don't really want to interact too directly anymore...they want to post comments from a distance.

Bit of a leap from facebook chat to the above.....

Anyone that is hooked on social media regularly/daily will not understand. ;)

One thing that always amuses me is that these days many people will hold a cell *phone* and yet, not bother actually calling/talking...instead they will send texts and do text-based chats....and it's not just when they are in some "no-talking" environment...it's like that most of the time for many.

There something about the disconnect...the no need to reply instantly that seems to appeal to many...whereas, talking on the phone, you are engaged in real-time.
Hey...whatever works for you. I was just saying that IMO...biz should be done apart from the social environment when it's of any importance. It helps keep things more focused...again, IMO. :)

And to bring it back to the OP...I bet if he had actually talked to the ME on the phone instead of resorting to chat text snippets for communication...there might have been better understanding between them....or maybe not.

Back on topic, compressing to a lossy format changes the waveform. The overall peak level will rise to some degree. If the file is destined for lossy compression it needs more headroom. How much extra headroom will be enough is difficult to predict.

Back