Mastering engineer conning me?

I said it already.
All the stuff you don't like is a hell of a leap from a chat on FB messenger.

The guy only has a page because you got a feeling.

The guy only has a page because you got a feeling.

Huh...?

You're still not saying anything.
A leap is going from A to B...I'm just saying that IMO using social media for biz is BS. :)

AFA the guy...I only said he might have done better to communicate directly instead of by FB chat and then drawing the conclusion he was being conned....talk about a leap.

Right....never mind.

All you were doing was vaguely casting some sort of doubt on what I was saying...without ever actually saying anything yourself about the topic with any detail...and instead just kinda stirring the pot. :)

text snippets.

You've mentioned snippets and one-liners a number of times, and implied their inherent unsuitability for business. I broadly agree with this, but why do you assume that business is conducted this way? FB messages can be as long or as short as you like. You can attach docs if you need to.

Personally, I don't like the phone for conducting business. I prefer emails and messages. That's because I like to see stuff written down, I like to have a documented trail and I like to have time to frame a request or a reply because I'm not that good at thinking on my feet.

If I do arrange things by phone (or face to face), then I will get the details confirmed in writing afterwards.

I'll try again... :facepalm: :D

You're now talking about what is technically possible. I never said that FB chats are only capable of short, one-liners...BUT...the reality is that's how most people DO communicate on social media, and it carries over to phone text messages or vice-versa....and their biz.
I sometimes have to go through 5-6 emails from people before we can get to the heart of something, because people have gotten use to talking in short "chat" style sentences.
I mean...how many people chat on social media with long, well thought out paragraphs and attached files?
I've seen people texting/messaging each other while in the same room...talking is too complicated. :)

The point was, is and will be...it's still *social media"...and to me, not the place I would conduct all my biz or have concerned conversations about biz issues (like the OP).
To just say hello to a biz client or what have you...OK...that IS more of a social nature...but if the only/primary face a business has is on Facebook ...I personally wouldn't give it much consideration.

AFA keeping "records"...yeah, that's an obsession these days...every comment needs to be archived for some future use...:p...but I get it, it's often needed for biz, and like I originally said, I would then take it to direct email if I needed the record keeping part.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram...etc...is mainly meant for social media.
Why oh why would people want to use those places for their biz transactions and conversations, and archiving....?...but...I guess many do.
I always found that I can have a more personal connection by talking to people on the phone...what can I say, I give good phone... ;)...AND...it's more private. IOW, you CAN have a conversation without thinking that every word you say is being saved on some fucking server.

But...to each his own.

-----------

As an aside...
At my day gig, where there are thousands of people in the broader organization...they had to send out guidance for social media use when it involves the organization.
Why...?
Because the lines have become too blurred, and the social informality has caused problems more than once for the biz side of things.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't get the impression you know what Facebook chat/messenger is.
There's still no reason to believe the dude even has a page for his business.

I actually contemplated countering that before you said it, since it's such an obvious next-step.
I don't particularly like social media and use it minimally.

I keep regular contact with a friend in London, a friend in Belfast, my immediate family, and Jimmy, through FB.
I don't have accounts with any others.

More irrelevant chatter, though. The simple point was that the OP had a chat with is ME and you've immediately run off assuming he has a business page and, by your own admission, that it's his sole storefront.
That's about it.

Well...it's no different than assuming the OP is using an ME who has a regular biz site...a phone number...and an email...
...but the OP chose instead to use FB chat to talk about his mastering project with the ME. :D

Besides...until the OP says different and posts a link to the ME's biz page so we know who he's talking about...
...I'll go with my gut. ;)

At least we agree that social media isn't such a hot item...and a good way to end this conversation. :thumbs up:

Yeah, but it's ALL meaningless chatter. This Thread included. My involvement in it included.

It's ALL bullshit. :laughings:

I know, I myself am guilty of it, but ANYTHING on an audio forum that doesn't result in the sharing of useful pertinent information is nothing other than a waste.

So...It's a bit of a leap then?
For what...?...that the ME has a the biz site, phone and email...but the OP instead went to FB Chat just because, because...?

Yeah....it's a leap. :D

Since the OP hasn't come back, even after the first couple of posts...I think I hit the nail on the head...no leap. :)

Jimmy just sent me a message about business on facebook chat.

Jimmy, would you be so kind as to post a link to your facebook business page which is, presumably, the only place you conduct business?
I'll save him the trouble. He doesn't have one.

To assume he does would be a leap and to admit that would, apparently, kill you.

For what...?...that the ME has a the biz site, phone and email...but the OP instead went to FB Chat just because, because...?

Yeah....it's a leap. :D

Since the OP hasn't come back, even after the first couple of posts...I think I hit the nail on the head...no leap. :)

You may have hit the nail on the head. And you may have missed it as well.

I'm involved with a theatre company. We have a website and a facebook page.

We get queries from people through the website. And through the FB page.

Some people operate only in the FB world. Some shun it completely and use email or phone. And others use both.

Why would you assume that because a query was made by FB that there wasn't a website? Likewise, why would you assume that FB Chat was the only form of communication between them?

Back