Mastering advice

Trumpspade

I'M BLESSED.......
I am not referring to mastering myself but more of a mastering question in General.......
I once heard of certain no no's when completing your final mix and preparing it to be mastered. I believe one is using any of the Mastering Algorithm effects. (I don't know if it is true or not) But are there any other pet peeves that Engineers have in regards to mastering products from home studio enthusiasts?

Trumpspade said:
I am not referring to mastering myself but more of a mastering question in General.......
I once heard of certain no no's when completing your final mix and preparing it to be mastered. I believe one is using any of the Mastering Algorithm effects. (I don't know if it is true or not) But are there any other pet peeves that Engineers have in regards to mastering products from home studio enthusiasts?

The stock advice is don't do anything to the master bus. Also make sure not to clip the master bus during mixdown.

Also

• documentation
  • Don't fade so a noiseprint can be made in some cases for noise reduction
  • Create a balanced mix (e.g not having one instrument too bright and another too dull)
  • Don't normalize
  • Don't worry about hitting digital 0, -6 to -10 dBFS is fine
  • Don't expect mastering to "remix" your material
  • Have a good realistic reference that represents the sound that you want

Is "Mastering Algorithm" a plugin or something? If it's relating to most "mastering" processors or plugs in general, especially MBC's and limiters, yeah... I'd leave them off.

There's a link to a short (16 page) booklet on my home page (link below) that goes off on a number of pet peeves... Feel free. :D

Back