Thread: Mastering in 24 bit and the highest sample rate?

Thanks

Mastering in 24 bit and the highest sample rate?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,
    What resolution will you ask from clients for Mastering? As higher as they recorded or down to 16bit/24bit 44.1 will do?

Thanks
    You have to know the Mastering formats they need. First, nobody needs to be changing bit and rate just for the hell of it

Thanks
    I would want the files exported at the resolution of the mix session. I'll do any needed resampling and truncation as part of the mastering process.

Thanks
    If you are asking about the bet depth and sample rate that the clients send you, it should be what ever bit depth and sample rate they recorded in.

As a mastering engineer, you would have superior sample rate conversion than a mix engineer would. Most of the mastering guys I deal with will play the clients files out of their super cool converters, through their analog path (EQ, compression, limiting, etc...) and capture that signal with another set of awesome converters at the sample rate and bit depth the master needs to be.

The sample rate and bit depth of your final master needs to be the appropriate sample rate and bit depth for what you are mastering for.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    I would argue that 24-bit, in whatever sample rate the project was recorded (or if you really feel the need, mixing to a multiple of that rate) is ideal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farview View Post
    If you are asking about the bet depth and sample rate that the clients send you, it should be what ever bit depth and sample rate they recorded in.

As a mastering engineer, you would have superior sample rate conversion than a mix engineer would. Most of the mastering guys I deal with will play the clients files out of their super cool converters, through their analog path (EQ, compression, limiting, etc...) and capture that signal with another set of awesome converters at the sample rate and bit depth the master needs to be.

The sample rate and bit depth of your final master needs to be the appropriate sample rate and bit depth for what you are mastering for.
    Oh yes, this really make sense! So, hybrid mastering is the best choice for better mastering result, for we could have a further better AD/DA conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Massive Master View Post
    I would argue that 24-bit, in whatever sample rate the project was recorded (or if you really feel the need, mixing to a multiple of that rate) is ideal.
    I certainly AGREE with this idea. Not lower than 24-Bit and Sample Rate at least 44.1khz. To me, this is basic requirement.

Thread Information