Mastering?

wickedplaya

Allright I was wondering if there is a website with info for doing basic mastering with the waves gold plugins?I know mastering is best left to the pros but I want to do some simple stuff to put my music in the hands of a few people.I have used t-racks and got an allright sound with that but was told the waves plugins are better.If any body has a basic process they can post or a site to get info please reply back.Also if anybody has samples of work they have done with the waves please direct me to a spot where i can check them out.Thanks

You were told the Waves plugins were better, so you spent several thousand dollars on them without knowing how they're used?

wickedplaya said:
Allright I was wondering if there is a website with info for doing basic mastering with the waves gold plugins?I know mastering is best left to the pros but I want to do some simple stuff to put my music in the hands of a few people.I have used t-racks and got an allright sound with that but was told the waves plugins are better.If any body has a basic process they can post or a site to get info please reply back.Also if anybody has samples of work they have done with the waves please direct me to a spot where i can check them out.Thanks

Unfortunately, no one is going to be able to tell you how to master and listening to samples of music that have been mastered with specific software isn't going to tell you what YOU will be able to do with it. That would be like buying a Les Paul because of the way Jimmy Page made one sound on Heartbreaker. Duke Robillard makes a Les Paul sound like a totally different guitar. And then, what does a Les Paul sound like in your hands?
Go to this link - http://izotope.com/support/downloads.html and download the dithering and mastering guide. This is an excellent way to get started in the quest for knowledge on the subject.
Good luck and have fun. It's easy to get discouraged but just keep analyzing and making incremental improvements in your skills.

Massive Master said:
You were told the Waves plugins were better, so you spent several thousand dollars on them without knowing how they're used?
I got the package from somebody that has it and had no idea what to do with it.I didnt pay what it would normaly cost so i got a good deal.

tkingen said:
Unfortunately, no one is going to be able to tell you how to master and listening to samples of music that have been mastered with specific software isn't going to tell you what YOU will be able to do with it. That would be like buying a Les Paul because of the way Jimmy Page made one sound on Heartbreaker. Duke Robillard makes a Les Paul sound like a totally different guitar. And then, what does a Les Paul sound like in your hands?
Go to this link - http://izotope.com/support/downloads.html and download the dithering and mastering guide. This is an excellent way to get started in the quest for knowledge on the subject.
Good luck and have fun. It's easy to get discouraged but just keep analyzing and making incremental improvements in your skills.
I wasnt trying to get samples to try an duplicate,I just wanted to see what the program was capable of doing.Thanks for the web page tip im going to check it out.

Wicked - around here there's no such thing as a stupid question - unless it's about mastering. Don't take it personally, it's a sport for some.
I believe there are instructive DVD's available for Waves plugins, which might be a good way for you to learn how to use them.

-RD

wickedplaya said:
I got the package from somebody that has it and had no idea what to do with it.I didnt pay what it would normaly cost so i got a good deal.
Yes - it's amazing how cheap s/w is when it's pirated, eh? :rolleyes:

Blue Bear Sound said:
Yes - it's amazing how cheap s/w is when it's pirated, eh? :rolleyes:

I'm refraining from resorting to the Napolianic justice system on this since he wasn't asking for manuals, but more basic mastering process guidance. It smells that way, granted.

Robert D said:
I'm refraining from resorting to the Napolianic justice system on this since he wasn't asking for manuals, but more basic mastering process guidance. It smells that way, granted.

He *was* asking for guidance on using waves though.

Sometimes I wish we had a mechanism in place that would force people to verify that own have legal copies of software before we help them use it.

This is also a large reason why I have stopped trying to help with software application-specific questions. I refuse to aid and abet pirating.

Mastering is more about critical listening than using software plug-ins, but the people that create them won't tell you that.

Before you touch your audio, decide what it needs then apply the proper processing. Knowing how and when to use it takes quite a bit of time to develop, as well as training your ears. Having a great monitoring system is a pre-requisite before touching anything regarding mastering, if you can't hear it, or hear it accurately, you're flying blind (or at least with a scratched and smudged pair of spectacles).

By all means, try stuff, but if you're serious about mastering start with Bob Katz book and keep surfing. There are no magic settings or presets that work 100% of the time.

fraserhutch said:
He *was* asking for guidance on using waves though.

Sometimes I wish we had a mechanism in place that would force people to verify that own have legal copies of software before we help them use it.

This is also a large reason why I have stopped trying to help with software application-specific questions. I refuse to aid and abet pirating.

I hear you, that's why I never ask for help with my pirated software....I've got morals you know. ;)

It amazes me how people who are on an endeavor to sell intellectual property (music) don't mind stealing intelectual property to create that intellctual property, IP that they will depend on people actually buying. I know a few musicians who have scads of "shared" MP3's, but want to sell CDs of their music. Go figure.

-RD

Robert D said:
It amazes me how people who are on an endeavor to sell intellectual property (music) don't mind stealing intelectual property to create that intellctual property, IP that they will depend on people actually buying. I know a few musicians who have scads of "shared" MP3's, but want to sell CDs of their music. Go figure.
Multiple-choice answer:

A.) Selfishness
B.) Ignorance of the Golden Rule
C.) Ignorance in general
D.) Sociopathy

The dirty little secret of this forum is that it's only those with Nuendo and Waves Gold and the like that get called on it because the price makes it so obvious, but there are plenty of participants who are smiling over this thread because nobody suspects that their copy of Sonar or Cubase or Acid is stolen because they retail for much less.

It kills me because I'm sitting salavating at the mouth barely able to wait for my mothballing of my legit but old versions of CubaseVST, Vegas and Audition by consolidating and upgrading to Nuendo. I've been saving up my hard-earned pennies since just before I joined this board. In fact, part of the reason I joined this board was to brush up on my technique knowledge in prep for the new system. I still will not be able to afford it for another few weeks yet (got bills to pay and mouths to feed too, unfortunately ;).)

In the meantime in just the past two months or so I've lost count of the number of Nuendo/Waves/UA plug.etc. theives on this board who don't even know or appreciate just what they have in their hands.

And they have the big brass balls to want my help?

Sorry, rant over. :o

G.

I just try to encourage folks to do the right thing - there are plenty of folks that pay for their products, there are a percentage of folks that don't. The only case where stealing is acceptable would be if I was hungry & thirsty - so you won't get a logical argument out of me, it's just case by case basis.

Sooner or later karma will cath up to folks who don't pay their way or fair share. Personally - stealing one's way into a hobby or profession is disgusting to me, in the case we're discussing here. I don't really need to do anything else about it, if it's obvious then I just leave the thread - maybe I'll make some clever comment so the poster and forum knows they're busted.

It's hard to worry about all this with the stuff happening in New Orleans - ya'll try and make a donation if you can, eh? It's desperate...
http://www.redcross.org/

No doubt that the "upper end" programs along with people who have no idea about them are prime candidates, also no doubt that we can do little to stop them.

But I tell ya... It takes some freakin' grapes to come onto a public forum and ask how to use pirated software... They're going to steal it themselves? They can go jump in a lake before anyone should lift a finger to help them with it.

Massive Master said:
No doubt that the "upper end" programs along with people who have no idea about them are prime candidates, also no doubt that we can do little to stop them.

While I won't disagree with you, I know a LOT of people that have more money than brains - this goes for things outside the realm of recording as well........ :D

masteringhouse said:
Viva la dongle ...
Dongles stop the basic copy theives, but the don't stop the real crackers. There's cracked copies of Cubase, Nuendo and other packages that work perfectly fine sans dongle.

G.

Back