Mastering?

masteringhouse said:
Geez guys, I know software piracy is a hot topic but it seems like in this case it was a license transfer not a piracy issue assumming I got the facts straight.
That may be, but these days it seem as though we get people in here everyday asking how to use their priated software. And that just sucks.

Let's also not forget that software and computer hardware companies use a strategy of planned obsolescence in order to force you into buying new software and hardware every few years. So they are not completely innocent either. It's a good reason to go with quality analog gear, never goes out of style (rather than pirate).
I would argue that this is not intentially true of the software industry. What *is* true is that software becomes obsolete due to outside factors - hardware obsolescense, platform (OS) obsolescense and so forth. But I do not know of any company outside of perhaps MS that plans for obsolescense. And it is true that people are still using Windows 98.

Features get cut and postponed due to market pressures and economics, but I have NEVER experienced, not do I recall a case where where a feature was postponed in order to promote obsolescense.

fraserhutch said:
Features get cut and postponed due to market pressures and economics, but I have NEVER experienced, not do I recall a case where where a feature was postponed in order to promote obsolescense.

Not necessarily suggesting that this is done, and yes there are outside pressures that cause software companies to make design changes. But the software companies depend on this for survival, otherwise they wouldn't charge for updates.

Waves is a smart marketing company. Last I checked upgrades for the plugs that I have cost nearly as much as buying them outright. Do they know that there will be operating system upgrades? Granted they need to recoup the cost of development, but do they need to charge full price to an existing customer do do it? Also the way they package the plugins. Why is it that you can't buy the L2 plugin without buying a complete bundle?

Again I would never suggest piracy to get around this, but I have a hard time being sympathetic when a company gouges their existing customers.

Reactions: NL5
First, for the record, I personally never accused Wicked of actually stealing his Waves. I just (perhaps wrongly) jumped in on the whole piracy thread itself, which somewhat hijacked the original thread. I may have been wrong to aid and abet in the topic swicth and for that I'll apologize to Wicked. But in weak moments when we get the punks who were born with daddy's platinum card in their mouths (and I never accused Wicked of that) jumping in and advocating piracy because it's what everybody else does and because its really for the common good anyway - both of which are utter bullshit no matter how it's parsed - I have a tendancy to jump in with both guns blazing :o .

And Tom, I'll agree with you that there are instances like the Waves upgrades where the pricing is exhorbitant. And the options packaging - like you mention with the L2 - is taken right from the car dealer playbook. UA does something similar with the UAD1 packs that triple in price as you start adding the stuff that you actually want, though their packaging options make a little more sense.

G.

wickedplaya said:
I know what each plug does...I am asking what are the ones u use most of the time or the order if u have a good starting point...I have no idea why he bought them,I went to the dudes house becuase he told me he had some music equipment adn when i got there i saw he had the bundle..I was looking at it and the dude was like u want em give me a couple hundred bucks because i dont use them..So i got them...Any more questions?

To answer your question:

When i am just making a "best foot forward" listener for someone to give to their label or whatever... We know it is not going to mastering. I will take the two track in PTHD and just simply make a master fader, (talking waves here) put up a renEQ6, then a C4, then a de-esser then an L1 (or L2, whatever you have), then maybe a PAZ freq analyzer to reference a few spikes (if they exist, and where).

Tweak the stuff until it sounds right. Get really good at it. Work with a lot of people. Get your mixes mastered by a mastering engineer.Have fun... Repeat forever....

doogle said:
high guys ive got pirated software and i was wodering if you could tell me how to use it please.
:)

First, make sure that you have the most current updates by registering your software on their website.

Be sure to give them your name, mailing and email addresses so that they can keep you informed of any future updates to the software.

Let's see if I am geting this right:

We have a bunch of musicians out here that spend a lot of time on the internet and master their own CDs. Is it any wonder that they can't afford software and equipment? Can anyone say DUH!

How does everyone feel about their music going on an unpaid for MP3 file then distributed to 10 million people? Some would say that is theft, some would say that is cool that everyone listens to them, but everyone would like to get paid for it.

So where do I fall in all of this discussion? Shit, I don't know. I just felt like writing some stuff this morning.

I received a copy of Sampletank w/ my Tracktion 2 purchase... I went on their website to register it and my registration # had already been used! I'm guessing from someone that got a cracked copy with a key generator or something. :(

I certainly have to agree that I am an artist that does not have the skills nor patience to mix my own material correctly, but then again, I'm working without all the equipment I would need to do so. But I reccommend looking into downloading free music making programs to help round out your studio and I also reccommend to at least learn SOME mixing so you can make an ok mix to show to the public.

Back