Mastering?

Blue Bear Sound said:
Yes - it's amazing how cheap s/w is when it's pirated, eh? :rolleyes:
It aint pirated I got it from the dude.The whole package no bootleg or nothin I bought it from him....If u would like a list of all the software i have i will give it to u so u can speculate if they are pirated as well..Thanks for being concerened.

jhgjlkgjadfgbn

Damn yall people are wild.I bought the bundle not knowing that much about it and asked if there was maybe a process of wich particular plugins u use out of the package.I saw a deal and jumped on it and now yall bitch like I downloaded it.I have experimented with the plugins and saw what they do but i just wanted like a basic outline to start with.I didnt need presets or anything like that just the plugs u mainly use.I do know that they all have there purposes as well.For the few of u that tried to help i apreciate the help and for the rest of u im sorry i bothered u with my legitimate question about my legitimate softwaer.I wont bother asking any more questions thanks for ur time.

Serious answer - The Waves package comes with a GREAT set of documentation. I have the Native Power Pack and the Renn. Collection and I feel the manuals do a great job of explaining both basic concepts of the effects (compression/threshold/reverb/etc...) as well as the specific plug-ins. If you bought a legimate copy, then you should have the manuals. As to the dude you bought it from who has NO idea how to use it, WHY did he "buy" it?

I didn't read all of this cause it simply fell out of topic alot of times even before I hit the mid section of this thread...

MASTERING:
I'm afraid there's no easy way to do this. It's not a combination of buttons and there you go. It depends on what style of music and such. Alot of engineers use different stuff for different tracks, depending on how they allready sound, and how it's gonna sound in the end. Stick to T-Racks if you have gotten ok results with that, allthough you will have more control with the waves bundle. More control equals more margin of error as well...specially if you're not trained to do the job properly.

PIRACY:
Get real people...half of the ones in here that has complained about the piracy thing is probably using it themselfs...Let me put it this way...in 5-10 years time (even present) there are great musicians, designer, artist and so forth that has a job purely based on a piece of software they have learned about by downloading it illegaly. I'm not supporting piracy, but more place the faith in the hands of the musician/artist/designer with enough respect for themself to buy the software they use if they get into the moneymaking part of it. The others tend to fall behind anyways. We will need people that can handle seq packages in the future as well, and with the stiff prices and greedy producers of software we will gain by letting people "try" out the programs illegaly, cause in the end you will have alot more people that handles relevant programs to drive the world further...

-Nito

gordone said:
Serious answer - The Waves package comes with a GREAT set of documentation. I have the Native Power Pack and the Renn. Collection and I feel the manuals do a great job of explaining both basic concepts of the effects (compression/threshold/reverb/etc...) as well as the specific plug-ins. If you bought a legimate copy, then you should have the manuals. As to the dude you bought it from who has NO idea how to use it, WHY did he "buy" it?
I know what each plug does...I am asking what are the ones u use most of the time or the order if u have a good starting point...I have no idea why he bought them,I went to the dudes house becuase he told me he had some music equipment adn when i got there i saw he had the bundle..I was looking at it and the dude was like u want em give me a couple hundred bucks because i dont use them..So i got them...Any more questions?

92_ said:
I didn't read all of this cause it simply fell out of topic alot of times even before I hit the mid section of this thread...

MASTERING:
I'm afraid there's no easy way to do this. It's not a combination of buttons and there you go. It depends on what style of music and such. Alot of engineers use different stuff for different tracks, depending on how they allready sound, and how it's gonna sound in the end. Stick to T-Racks if you have gotten ok results with that, allthough you will have more control with the waves bundle. More control equals more margin of error as well...specially if you're not trained to do the job properly.

PIRACY:
Get real people...half of the ones in here that has complained about the piracy thing is probably using it themselfs...Let me put it this way...in 5-10 years time (even present) there are great musicians, designer, artist and so forth that has a job purely based on a piece of software they have learned about by downloading it illegaly. I'm not supporting piracy, but more place the faith in the hands of the musician/artist/designer with enough respect for themself to buy the software they use if they get into the moneymaking part of it. The others tend to fall behind anyways. We will need people that can handle seq packages in the future as well, and with the stiff prices and greedy producers of software we will gain by letting people "try" out the programs illegaly, cause in the end you will have alot more people that handles relevant programs to drive the world further...

-Nito
Thanks for the help.I got the t-racks sounding pretty good so i wil use that for a while until i get the Waves down..Thanks again

92_ said:
PIRACY:
Get real people...
OK, I agree, let's get real.

The reality is that you say in one phrase that you do not advocate piracy and then go on for a whole paragraph justifying it anyway.

The reality is that "piracy" is just a romanticized euphamism for "theft".

The reality is that the only reason you justify the theft of software and not the theft of a bank or a person is because you know that you have a good chance of getting away with the theft of software.

The reality is that "theft" is still theft. The fact that it's software and not currency is irrelevant.

The reality is that just because many people do it doesn't make it right. The truth is not a matter of majority opinion. Just ask the residents of Salem, Mass.

The reality is that the bad that comes from the belief that it's OK to steal far outweighs the good that comes from a few songs coming out of the theived products.

The reality is that the end does not justify the means.

The reality is that software like the kind we work with is amongst the most expensive software to build and is targeted for only a very small segment of the general population. That's why they cost so much. It has zero do do with any kind of overcharging. I've been there, I know.

The reality is that - especially in such small markets as ours - the more the software is stolen, the higher that jacks the prices.

The reality is that The Golden Rule is not part of your reality.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
OK, I agree, let's get real.

The reality is that you say in one phrase that you do not advocate piracy and then go on for a whole paragraph justifying it anyway.

The reality is that "piracy" is just a romanticized euphamism for "theft".

The reality is that the only reason you justify the theft of software and not the theft of a bank or a person is because you know that you have a good chance of getting away with the theft of software.

The reality is that "theft" is still theft. The fact that it's software and not currency is irrelevant.

The reality is that just because many people do it doesn't make it right. The truth is not a matter of majority opinion. Just ask the residents of Salem, Mass.

The reality is that the bad that comes from the belief that it's OK to steal far outweighs the good that comes from a few songs coming out of the theived products.

The reality is that the end does not justify the means.

The reality is that software like the kind we work with is amongst the most expensive software to build and is targeted for only a very small segment of the general population. That's why they cost so much. It has zero do do with any kind of overcharging. I've been there, I know.

The reality is that - especially in such small markets as ours - the more the software is stolen, the higher that jacks the prices.

The reality is that The Golden Rule is not part of your reality.

G.

Damn straight!

NL5 said:
It is not theft. It is still wrong. However, corporate America has perverted the copyright laws so bad that it is truly a shame. Look up some of Lessig's papers on the subject. Very enlightening.
Which part of taking something that does not belong to you do you not understand as being the definition of theft?

The copyright laws have nothing to do with the basic truth, and you know it. That's just hiding behind a smoke screen that pretends to be some form of consciencous objection or resistance to corporate law. But with a wink wink, nudge nudge everybody knows that's just a bunch of bullshit used as an excuse for those unwilling to learn the satisfaction of working for their rewards.

Let me know what your business, service or product is so I can send a bunch of folks out to take it without paying you for it and let's see how you like it.

I got news for you; most of the companies that put out this kind of software are not the "big coporations" you think they are. Many of them are - or were before being bought by a bigger name - companies of less than 100 people living from week-to-week on multi-million dollar loans they got from venture capital interests and/or bank loans. They falter on their business plan, fail to make the sales, miss their payments on the loans, and they can have the whole rug pulled out from under them. That actually happens to 9 out of 10 companies that try it. For every Sonic Foundry or Cakewalk there are 10 or 20 more companies that you probably have not heard of that never made it that far. Sonic Foundry was bought by Sony. Success story, right? Not as much as you think. You know how much Sony paid for SF? $18 million. Sounds like a lot, doesn't it? Thats NOTHING. That barely covered what SF owed to its creditors.

And through all those difficulties, these companies have to have keep a team of bleeding edge software and support engineers together long enough to actually make it through v3 of a product. These men and women are costing them on average over a hundred grand a year each in salary and benefits, the benefits the especially costly and tough for small companies to afford. Not to mention the cost of office space and all that.

I could go on, but I have lived inside companies exactlly as I described as one of those engineers. It's hard, hard fucking high pressure work where the even existance of your job depends on being able to build a quality product against fierce competition that can sell at some kind of reasonably acceptable price point and sell enough to pay your salary and your company's debts.

We literally had an engineer that passed out on his feet from medical stress and fatigue because he was putting in too many 72-hour-straight shifts programming during the Christmas season just to get out a revision of our video editor software on which the company depended. I myself spent 5 days straight in 1998 as the only person (other than one bookeeping and supplies assistant) to hold up our entire company and office while the entire rest of the company was down in Vegas at the NAB show trying to find buyers and distributers for our product. I wasn't a corporate officer, a VP or even a department head. Nobody important in that regard. I was a hardware engineer and development support enginer that also was the company's webmaster, that's all. But that's how life is in these companies. You do anything and everything that you have to just to keep afloat.

And you have the nerve to call me misguided when I tell you first-person that software piracy is theft. To call me delusional because I say that to take a product of this smaller-than-you-realize company's blood sweat and tears without compensating them anything in return is theft is both insulting to me, embarassing to you and just plain insane in general. To say that a few hundred dollars is too much to pay for this kind of effort and gamble because some geek anarchist wannabe with no apparent responsibilities of his own writes some paper saying that Sonic Foundry, Cakewalk, Native Instruments, Bomb Factory or Steinberg are in the same class of corporate and legal scam artist as Halliburton or Waste Management is just plain ignorant of reality.

G.

NL5 said:
Did you even read what I said? I agree it is WRONG! Did you not read that part? I even said the guy trying to justify it was MORE DELUSIONAL than you in his argument. 95% of your reply has NOTHING to do with what I said.
Well, maybe I misunderstood, but if so you have to excuse me. You quoted kylen's reference to me and replied that you were "just amazed at how misguided and delusional he was - almost as bad as the guy saying it's ok to pirate software." Tell me how I wouldn't interpret that as referring to me. Yeah, you did say it was wrong, but not theft. When I put that in context with my apparently being called misguided and delusional and the fact that Mr. 92 also said that it was wrong and went on to justify it anyway, it sounded like the same thing again and an attack on my position. So I'm sorry that I misunderstood you, but I did read what you said; it misled me nonetheless. Forgive me for that.

NL5 said:
If you come to my place of business and remove PROPERTY, I can no longer use that property - all value has been removed. If "joe-blow" downloads Nuendo off the internet, Stienberg has lost NOTHING in MOST cases. The people downloading the $1500 Nuendo, could not, and would not buy it - in MOST cases.
Those are bogus arguments as well, unfortunately. Theft does not just mean loss of physical property. On a lawful level it can also refer to theft of services, theft of intellectual property, etc. Even more so, on a fundamental level, theft is taking anything that belongs to someone else and does not belong to you and doing so without their knowledge or permission. It's really as simple as that.

The argument that it's OK for those who wouldn't pay so much for a legitimate copy anyway to take a cracked copy because there is no actual loss in sales for the company is misdirection. The only way in which the consumer has decision over the value of a product is in their choice of whether to purchase or not. If one thinks that Nuendo, for example, is too expensive, then they should not buy it. Period. But the fact that one thinks it's too expensive and therefore would not buy it at that price does not give them the right to take it for free.

Plus, that argument implies that the more expensive the software, the more it's likely to be pirated. This simply does not bear out. I have run across as many pirated copies of Audition and Sonar in my travails as I have Nuendo. There are more pirated copies of $25 shareware on this planet than anything else put together. Price has nothing to do with it. For most pirate software users there is only one legitimate price: free.

NL5 said:
My only point (originally) was that many of your arguments are not valid
Which ones? Stipulating that it is theft to take what is not yours, the sequence is valid all the way through.

:D

Goodwill.

G.

Reactions: NL5
damn....southside glen...I almost feel like handing you a plaque for the effort you felt the need to put into the post to me...but I'm not...

I don't justify the theft of softwarebased products, I'm just saying that there's alot of proffesions out there that will gain from it in the end. Loss of money...yup...gain from talent and quality...yup...There's nothing I hate more than having to pay more for a product in the shop cause schmukks download it illegally but! It's inevitable so why even bother? I realise that the type of people that will actually buy a product and legalise their copy of a program is a minority, but I know they're out there, hence my somewhat ignorance to the subject about piracy. Serious people will be serious about it. Slackers won't pose a threat cause the programs is most likely to end up as "something they never figured out how to use". No money lost then...

anyways, I realise you've got more dickriders in here than you can shake your stick at so this would be a dead end for anyone with less than 500 posts on their rep...

Hey thanks for all the help but I vote to close this discussion.I started it and it seems to have drifted off topic so go to another section and post a discussion for software theft.Thank you

wickedplaya said:
Hey thanks for all the help but I vote to close this discussion.I started it and it seems to have drifted off topic so go to another section and post a discussion for software theft.Thank you
Sorry, dude, you don't get a say in the matter.

Hey wicked heres the deal,

Since you got the plugins from your friend and they we "laying" there,it must have been a physical cd/cd's so in order to proove your self that you did not steal them we need some pics of the cd's. :D

Otherwise you will be discarded by MANY next time you'll need help,including me.

Pinachi said:
Hey wicked heres the deal,

Since you got the plugins from your friend and they we "laying" there,it must have been a physical cd/cd's so in order to proove your self that you did not steal them we need some pics of the cd's. :D

Otherwise you will be discarded by MANY next time you'll need help,including me.

I am not going to lie I dont have a Digital camera but I will get one from somebody just for this.I do ask though that from now on evrybody post pictures of their software because I know none of yall just like yall dont know me therefore I can only assume the software u own is stolen aswell.Thanks again......off to futureproducers.com for more respect and less bashing.

Geez guys, I know software piracy is a hot topic but it seems like in this case it was a license transfer not a piracy issue assumming I got the facts straight.

Let's also not forget that software and computer hardware companies use a strategy of planned obsolescence in order to force you into buying new software and hardware every few years. So they are not completely innocent either. It's a good reason to go with quality analog gear, never goes out of style (rather than pirate).

Anyway, here is what I would try as a chain for mastering with Waves only:

If there are frequencies that "jump out" of the mix, and you can't correct them with a remix, try using a multi-band compressor. Examples may be to help de-ess a mix, or tame an uneven bottom end. You'll want to use this first since the threshold value will change if another process was used before.

Next try an EQ, roll-off frequencies below 20 Hz (play with this value) as frequencies below this won't be heard and will just be making the speaker do things that we don't want. The other parts of what you want to EQ really depend on your experience and what you want to get out of the mix, so without hearing anything I can't give you any more info on what to do there.

Next try a compressor if you feel the mix needs a bit more "density" or to help hold it together better. You can also get an increase in volume by using a bit of gain makeup. Don't go with a big ratio, try somewhere between 2:1 or 4:1 for this. The other values depend on the mix so again can't help without hearing.

Next try a limiter to get further volume or tame stray peaks. The L2 is good for this. If using an L2 you can also perform a wordlengthe reduction to 16 bit and dither. If not using an L2 or plug that supports it, you'll need an additional process for this.

That's pretty much mastering 101, there's much more to it but keep reading (BK's book in particular) and most of all practicing/listening.

Back