Making a podcast

balky

Hello guys!

I will be short since I wrote so much, and the system kicked me off and I lost everything I had written.

So, this is always a dilemma for me... How to make all track on the same track sound volume/RMS similar? What is the best way approach this?
Theoretically I know (i think) what should be done, but in practice do not know how to achieve desired effect.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
I wrote so much, and the system kicked me off and I lost everything I had written.

Hey man,
If that ever happens again, start creating a new post then look down at the bottom left.
There should be a button down there to let you re-load from saved or something like that.

Every so often the forum auto-saves your progress.

Try the Podcast forum...a sub-forum of the Recording forum.

This is the Mastering forum.

He's asking about peak and RMS consistency between recorded tracks. That's best suited to mastering, I'd have thought.
Plus, we don't repost here. Mods move things.

Sorry, I didn't see your post first time around, Miro.
I'm inclined to just leave both open for now. It's doing no harm.

There are many ways.
1) Using a limiter and a dynamic range meter, pull the limiter down until you have the desired dynamic range. Do the same across all of the tracks
2) Use a VU meter or an RMS meter and a limiter. Get each track bouncing to the same VU level by pulling down the limiter's threshold.
3) Use a compressor and some sort of meter (VU, dynamic range, RMS meter etc). Compress the audio to reduce the dynamic range. Adjust the makeup gain. Put a limiter right after the compressor to catch peaks ... also make sure to avoid clipping the compressor.

It's doing no harm.

I wasn't suggesting it was. It just seemed like the podcast forum is where he could find other podcasters to discuss his podcast question.
I see mastering purely as a post-production process...whereas podcasting more as a live production/broadcast type of thing, like radio...but yeah, all audio technologies intermingle, so many audio questions can kinda fit in any forum.

You can decide if he gets to post it in both forums, or not and which one gets deleted.

Hello guys!

I will be short since I wrote so much, and the system kicked me off and I lost everything I had written.

This used to happen to me all the time. Tracked it down to the ISP. They've since upgraded their infrastructure.

But what i did to get by was simply to write my lengthy replies in Notepad. Then, in one shot, paste it into my reply and it worked fine from then on!

Ponder5

Back