Interesting DW Fearn compression (and eq) vid

mixsit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fj3Y704Hxo
Aside from the lovely tones the man is getting, I thought it was interesting -certainly new to my experience, that his bus compression doesn't in most of the examples ever return to zero reduction.
Wow :) Basically contrary to what we normally see, or learn about perhaps? And sounds wonderful!

Then there's the bit where he cuts highs shelf but then boosts narrow. "helps control excess highs, "reduce harshness.

Last edited:
It's really hard to see what he's got set up there, but it sounds good :)

Could it be that he's using parallel compression (I'm unfamiliar with the units involved) - it would certainly account for the meter never reaching 0.
They're VU's too, so the needle ballistics might be set up to react more slowly than the compressor itself...
I'll have to do some digging :)

Edit;
They are just not hitting 0 - interesting!

The boosting narrow is going to be something I have to look into on my next project now...

Last edited:
Really it does not have to go back to 0 until there is silence, if you have the attack and release set up correctly the song will float within the compression. I personally have not done this to that degree, but after seeing this I can wait to try it.

I also wish I had one of these compressors LOL. MORE GEAR!!

Alan.

Back