How I test my mastered / finished tunes for great sound

That is not what I took away from his post. He said he tossed away his studio monitors and seemed to be recommending people do the same.

Hmm... upon re-reading, I'd say you're right.

At first, i had thought he had said something like "take your mix to a Bose and it'll sound better". I agree with that. I somehow got in my head to mix through appropriate monitors and then casually listen on the Bose. But you're right, that's not what he said, after all.

Then again, a goodly number of people on this list will be among the very few to hear their own mixes, anyway. So i suppose for even semi-serious hobbyists, that would work.

Listen on Bose? Sure. I like them just fine. But mix on Bose? Uh... nah... I'm not THAT much of a fan.

Ponder5

I don't know why anyone would want inaccurate speakers for anything except maybe ham or CB radio. If something doesn't sound good I just won't listen to it. If it's my work I'll fix it.

I don't know why anyone would want inaccurate speakers for anything except maybe ham or CB radio. If something doesn't sound good I just won't listen to it. If it's my work I'll fix it.

I honestly never quite got the whole NS10 thing. I have tons of shitty speakers I can listen on. Never found them to make my mix decisions better.

That being said, I do make some decisions based on how my mixes sound in my van as well as some $60 PC speakers. Just real world experiences. NS10's are not in any listeners living rooms... I hope.

I have a Bose Wave Radio 3 and the original series one Wave. Guess I'll be trying my mixes on them in the morning. Excellent idea!

I understand there's more than one flavor of ice cream available, too.
Crazy world, huh?

Ponder5

I understand there's more than one flavor of ice cream available, too.

Sure, there are many flavors...but would you prefer to eat some artificially flavored ice cream...when you can have the all-natural with real fruit?

:)

Whatever. I have a new batch of Nestle Toll House cookie dough and I'm gonna eat the whole thing myself like I have done for 30 years. :) I'm still kickin...

superspit said:
I have a Bose Wave Radio 3 and the original series one Wave. Guess I'll be trying my mixes on them in the morning. Excellent idea!
Do me favor? See if one or either of them do the bass enhancement' trick to a mix (or a bass/drums track?) like I heard? (post 15.
I'd be interesting to get another take on it. I don't know which he had but I think he'd had it for quite a while FWIW

Why can't I get the 'reply with quote' function to work? No prob, We'll do it The Old Fashion way grins..

I honestly never quite got the whole NS10 thing.
I saw where a single replacement woofer is over $500 now on ebay.. laughable...
Blown a lot of those speakers over the years...
I currently have a set of Ns10's hooked up to my living room tv.

Bose and Genelecs Headquarters are the next town over..

I've seen pairs of NS10s in good condition selling for around $500...though I guess if you're talking about NOS replacement speakers, they might fetch a high price since they haven't been made in a long time.

When you need one, somebody has got you by the balls. That's why i have two sets. One on the console and the other in the box, plus replacement tweets.

I honestly never quite got the whole NS10 thing. I have tons of shitty speakers I can listen on.
Hmm, we've had this discussion before.:D

Need i remind you that you never had an actual set of NS 10s? You had the ns10 Ts, which never made it into any commercial studio ever.

The ongoing debate about NS10S is a classic case of gear shaming, or gear bashing. Yet countless records that we all know and love were mixed on them, and producers and mixers to this very day use and swear by them. I'm talking about the big boys, the pros.
:D

Hmm, we've had this discussion before.:D

Need i remind you that you never had an actual set of NS 10s? You had the ns10 Ts, which never made it into any commercial studio ever.

The ongoing debate about NS10S is a classic case of gear shaming, or gear bashing. Yet countless records that we all know and love were mixed on them, and producers and mixers to this very day use and swear by them. I'm talking about the big boys, the pros.
:D

They are basically the same thing. I merely found a cheap deal on Craigslist and thought I would give them a shot. Need I remind you to capitalize your 'I' in a forum post?

Yes I bought and gave away a pair of NS10T's . I did not say that I did not know the difference between them. And mind you I am not without experience in high end studios where the NS10's were used. I found them to be shit then and still shit now. Just my opinion tho.

Did you find a need to instigate the supposed 'gear shame' topic? Are you assuming that anyone who has better opinions of NS10's are more professional? Would they go out of their way to be a dick here at HR? I doubt that.

Let's be real here man. NS10's are crappy bookshelf speakers. When was the last time you heard about a 'pro' say they mixed solely on NS10's? None lately. Even the ones that did used them only for reference from my knowledge. I could be wrong here but I doubt it.

Seriously, many of us who do this professionally use other less than perfect systems for reference at times. I seriously doubt any professional mix was done solely on crappy NS10's.

I am not attempting to be a dick here. I sincerely hope you were not either.

Last edited:
Back