How to get more volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice looking....how do they sound?
Who the hell knows. They match my wood finish walls and the cones are gold!!!!!

Hehe....I can't judge the sound right now, to be honest. I'm comparing them with my little 5-inch speaker, cheap home stereo speakers that I was using. So at this point, anything would sound good. Once I break them and my ears in, I'll be able to say how good they sound. One thing for sure, they're "real" monitors and a huge step up from what I had.

There are not many things less interesting than someone else's new baby.

Tell me about it! :facepalm:

At work there are a few women on some kind of baby streak the last few years. As soon as they have one....they're pregnant again. Some days, they all bring their babies to show them around....it's like a daycare center.

I'm like..... "cute kids"....and then I duck into my office and close the door. :D
I mean...I like kids, but I just don't get that excited about someone else's baby.

I see that RAMI beat me to it! :p

At work there are a few women on some kind of baby streak the last few years. As soon as they have one....they're pregnant again. Some days, they all bring their babies to show them around....it's like a daycare center.
This is how they talk each other into it:

Not to be argumentative, or to suggest anyone should master for iTunes but just as a point of information, this video was very interesting in showing that clipping can occur well before .01db its worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8HTmf--Wgs

Very very very good video! Anyone who ever plans on converting masters to compressed formats (which is everyone I guess!) should watch, especially around 6:00mm mark. Bottom line, when the digital signal gets converted back to analog wave form, the peak analog curve can and will exceed the top of the digital peak by a small amount. So you have to adjust your parameters to compensate for the peak. That being said, it's really not accurate to attribute clipping introduced AFTER the mastered file during third-party conversion to a compressed format. In the video, it seems D to A conversion (before) and compression to lossy (after) seem to contribute to clipping despite -0.01 ceiling, so it's a 50/50 split on what you can control for. I mean, people rip down perfectly good masters into all kinds of shitty formats with all kinds of shitty converters, at some point you've done all you can. Kind of a bummer to think about what happens to your stuff once it's out for mass consumption.

Not to be argumentative, or to suggest anyone should master for iTunes but just as a point of information, this video was very interesting in showing that clipping can occur well before .01db its worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8HTmf--Wgs

Yeah...that video explains thngs very clearly about nter-sample peaks and why you can get them.

He's got a couple of other videos where he talks about loudness war myths....I'm sure they will stir up some people. :D

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

:D

I didn't notice the guy yelling at anything in the video....he just posted up before/after comparisons so folks can make their own decisions.

While I know what you're getting at...the perspective that "It doesn't matter anymore since nothing will be done about it, so why talk about it?"....one of the points he made in the first clip, and something that's been talked about more and more lately, is that most of the streaming playback outlets are now doing something about it....they're doing playback level matching.
So, if your music is on any of those outlets, THEY will control your final level, not you....therefore the more you try to make it louder, they'll just turn it down more, automatically.... and they've found that the music that's been "crushed", suffers the most when it's level matched compared to music that has not been crushed in the mastering stage.

I mean....it doesn't matter if you're just doing your own CDs and uploading files to your website for consumption...but if your music is going to any of the commercial streaming sites, then it's something to consider.

I'm just always happy when I see the Gregster has commented on something relative to mastering, tracking guitars, or clownfuckery.
Just to clarify and perhaps thwart a total thread war, that facepalm wasn't meant for the miroslav. It's my disgust with what the "loudness war", which was fucking lame as shit to begin with, has devolved into. Now we're/they're "mastering" to fit streaming sites? Fucking stupid. First the idiot shill mastering pros made everything loud as fuck. Okay fine. They do it for the money. Then they start decrying what they themselves started. Fine, they gotta save face. Now mastering pros are getting in bed with shit like itunes and the peanut gallery eats it up. Insane.

....that facepalm wasn't meant for the miroslav.

I didn't respond to the comment, 'cuz I figured that....:) ....since really, I was just posting existing stuff about where things are at now with loudness and the new "playback level control" becoming the norm for many commercial audio streaming sites.

First the technology unleashed the loudness wars.....now it's trying to control that same loudness on the back end, by punishing anyone with crappier sounding streamed audio, if they submited crazy loud masters. :D

Having trouble attaching this but here's another go at it.

View attachment 88520

Anyway, not really sure what all there is to argue so much about here. Dude asked how to make it louder and I suggested a way to do so, which works (yes there are other ways to achieve the effect). But I mean if you want to argue about it there's really not much else I can say.

Some comps/limiters have a fixed threshold and you raise or lower the input level around it. (think fairchild)
The ceiling or peak output level isn't anything to do with the input/threshold relationship.

Unless there are more dials that we can't see, I'd guess that your plug has fixed threshold.

I didn't respond to the comment, 'cuz I figured that....:) ....since really, I was just posting existing stuff about where things are at now with loudness and the new "playback level control" becoming the norm for many commercial audio streaming sites.

First the technology unleashed the loudness wars.....now it's trying to control that same loudness on the back end, by punishing anyone with crappier sounding streamed audio, if they submited crazy loud masters. :D
Yeah now we're gonna have the quiet wars so everyone can sound the exact same way through shitty low quality streaming sites and crappy walmart earbuds. Thanks a lot you impotent, useless fucking audio geezers.

I use this one just for quick volume bumps for my own crap.
Limiter

Theres a pull down menu that has about 6 different settings, I like it for now in adding a little "final mix" loudness.

Stop it, stop it, stop it. Don't you realize that loudness is not a product of volume? It is a product of frequencies. Heavy compression only squashes the frequencies and what you end up with is mush. Focus on the dominate frequencies of each instrument. First find the offending ones. Run the tracks one at a time through a parametric eq and locate the honking ones and cut them. Here are some suggestions for the dominant ones that are good: Vocal is 1K. So cut that out of everything else with a parametric and a narrow Q. Now the drums. 200Htz, 320, and 2000 for them. (don't boost, just cut at 500, 1000 and maybe at 1500. The bass is the same but shifted a little off of those (remember to do a parametric scan with a tight Q for offending frequencies first. Guitars are midrange but if you have vocals you want room at 1K. Guitars wsould be fine once you isolate and remove the offending ones. (Remember, people listening might want to talk so cutting at 1K gives a little room for that.) Now most computer programs have multiband compressors. Apply it to the whole mix and then see if there are presets. Try each one until you like it and apply it. (To learn check and see what frequencies are being treated. Use that as a learning tool for making adjustments later. Your audience will turn the volume up to where they want it anyway. If you mix it right in the first place, it will sound less irritating. Good luck,
Rod Norman
Engineer

So im at this state where i want the mix to sound good but be loud enough too, my problem is that i feel like its squashed when i raise it too much I added a compressor so i could work it out a little bit but i dont want to ruin the signal so what other options could I have? im a total noob at mastering im guessing it'll be mostly dynamic working?

Rod.....that's some weird shit you're talking.
You can't just cut away dominant frequencies of instruments/voices like they are so much usless noise.
Some balancing, yes, and maybe a bit more if there is just one(?) very offending spot, but not up/down the range....you seem to be in love with hard-cutting stuff that pokes out some using a parametric EQ.
Why is it that you can hear a live band, and all those mixed up frequencies can sound real nice playing together...?
They're not all running parametric EQ's on their rigs.

Also....frequencies alone don't create loudness....their amplitude (aka volume) does.

And....

"people listening might want to talk so cutting at 1K gives a little room for that" .............WTF.....????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back