How do I...

McMajik

...tactfully tell a label manager that the mastering guy they sent the album I mixed to did a terrible job?

...How do I tactfully mention online that I'm dealing with a label manager?
:p

If you aren't happy with it just tell him in a sensible way.
The chances are you don't have the final say anyway, so you might as well mention it. :)

Sometimes it's hard to accept outside input. Maybe it's not terrible. Maybe it just isn't exactly how you'd have done it?
I'd try to give it several objective listens before you do anything.

I wouldn't come right around and say "terrible" but you could certainly say "I'm not really happy with the mastering job..." and see where that leads.

Heck, it might even just lead into more colorful (colourful in your case) adjectives. Like "terrible" -- You never know...

You can tell them you are not happy, but you will need to explain what it is about the mastering that you are not happy with. I have had stuff mastered elsewhere and there has been something about it that I have not liked, when I explain they usually take that on board and send me another master.

You can't just say you don't like it with no explanation.

Alan.

Yeah,
mastering is a dialogue between parties as well as a process applied by an expert.
If the ME wasn't aware of your requirements etc s/he may have addressed the mix by other criteria.
Be up front, and honest BUT avoid aggressive language and hyperbole.

Back