How Close is Too Close? Redbook compliance.

Chili

Site Moderator
I'm using Wavelab Elements 8 to put together a collection of songs for a CD. WLE8 automatically places the PQ codes and the user has no control over it. There is one transition where I want one song to go right into the next song with no space. I've got it where I want, sounds good, but the reported spacing is 13ms. Would that cause problems for a redbook compliant CD?

Thanks.

I'm using Wavelab Elements 8 to put together a collection of songs for a CD. WLE8 automatically places the PQ codes and the user has no control over it. There is one transition where I want one song to go right into the next song with no space. I've got it where I want, sounds good, but the reported spacing is 13ms. Would that cause problems for a redbook compliant CD?

Thanks.
No. There is no spec for pauses between tracks. Look at any live CD, there are no pauses at all, just track markers.

See if there's a way to at least get rid of "pause" markers -- I'm assuming that's what it's doing. WaveLab and especially its "Wizard" was always big on using pause markers. I (most I know also) only ever use them for very specific purposes. Maybe there's a setting somewhere...? Maybe...?

If it works like wavelab used to, you can just select the markers and hit delete.

There used to be a panel that let you select how the wizard worked. I usually just placed the markers by hand after getting the gaps right.

There doesn't appear to be any markers, nor any place to edit them. Definitely no pause markers on the timeline. This is Wavelab Elements, so probably not available.

Plus, I think Jay's comment about live cd's really answered my question. I burned a cd last night and then played it back through WMP. It worked fine, but I'm thinking WMP is capable of playing non-compliant CD's.

Eh, it's not that important. I probably won't sell any cd's and if I do, they'll be downloads.

Thanks guys.

I thought the Redbook was for volume compliance (or loudness), the CD audio standard is more of a technical standard. If that is the issue you are talking about, the only problems I have encountered were back in the early days, older players would not play CD-R type discs, but would play the "molded" CDs (pressed maybe, not sure, but they were not created by a computer). But at least for the last 10 years, maybe more, most will play CD-R discs.

If that what you are more or less asking about?

Hey David. No, the redbook doesn't set standards for volume. Probably the one thing it doesn't have a standard for, though that would be nice.

It sets standards for sample rate, bit depth, error correction, frames, laser alignment, sync codes, PQ codes, etc. Stuff like that. The PQ codes is what I was asking about. They set the beginning and end of each song and contain other info on the song. I think CD-Text data is placed in the PQ codes. I know they can only be in certain frames and I was wondering if there was a certain space required between the end of one and the beginning of another. I remember Massive talking about it several years ago and I don't completely understand it all.

Back