Headroom/volume/digital distortion

How do you guys get the high volume levels in your mixes?
I will have what seems like a good mix, and I raise the level of the stereo mix as high as it will go without clipping. But, to no avail, almost every other mix I here in the clinic is louder than mine.

Here is an example of a remix I just did last night

https://m.soundcloud.com/jimistone/driving-while-blind-remix

Any pointers would be GREATLY appreciated

Many newcomers to recording (not implying you're a newcomer just mentioning it in general) think that slamming a maximizer on the master channel would get them the same volume as the commercial volume.

When they do that they realize that the maximizer is starting to work so hard and destroy the mix and then they are forced to either:

1) Squash the dynamics of the song to get to that commercial level
2) Ease off the limiter , keep the dynamics but the song would be quieter.

The problem lies in the mix though.

When you've got tracks that've got peaks "jumping" here and there it's pretty logical for the maximizer to "meet" these peaks
and work against them.

So make sure that if you want to get the loudness (I assume the genre is asking for loudness) then compress/shave peak right during mixing
and the final maximizer would not have to meet all these transients that'd got nothing musical to offer to the listener.

Go back , re-mix , fix stuff and you're on the right path to loudness without destroying the dynamics of your mix.

Hope this helps!

Hi.

I have a mix that has ample headroom on both the individual tracks as well as my master (this being the way I have been taught)

I master within the box (inserts on the master bus) gently compression 2-5db gain reduction, followed by a little makeup gain to bring things back up. I then use some subtle tape emulation and soft clipping. Things are still relatively tame. For my penultimate plugin I use a waves limter. I push this as far as I need to get some 'volume', however the reading on my final plugin (a meter which detects digital clipping once my track is played on consumer gear) detects digital clipping if I push the limiter too hard. If I back off a little my tracks are still not as perceivably loud as commercial tracks.

What am I doing wrong? My mix sounds fine... Everything has been recorded using proper gain staging (with very little noise) I have stuck a high pass filter on most tracks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

David

Hard to say man.

Are you running the the limiter at final output of 0dB? Inter-sample peaks can get through I believe. Especially if you are converting to MP3 the final output at the master out can be sensitive.

I typically kept the output of Waves L2 limiter around -.3 dB. I find now with FabFilter Pro-L I can get quite a bit higher than that if needed.

And the only time I really try for 'LOUD' is for the balls out metal guys that demand it. \m/

That all being said, there are many variables that can cause your music to not be as loud as commercial mixes.

There is reason for professional mastering. Many in home recording just try to get close.

Curious what the music style is you are working with?

Maybe post a sample?

I agree with Jimmy on the L2 at -.3.. That's the same setting i use as a ceiling, however it all depends on how low you set the threshold.. The lower that goes the louder your entire mix will sound.

Push it too far and going to be really loud but with no dynamics.

Personally i find so many records these days are limited and everything is peaking and it just sounds horrible. Listen to the great records from the 70's they aren't insanely loud. They have great dynamics and sound amazing, so what if you have to turn up your amp a few notches.

I was listening to a new album a while ago that is getting all the 'hype' as the new album by an 'up and coming' band. Thought the songwriting was mehh, but the thing I noticed when I threw the waveform up was it had been compressed/limited to reduce the dynamics throughout (not a metal album, more Americana than anything else). Except for one or two songs, the waveform looked like a sausage.

Hi.

I have a mix that has ample headroom on both the individual tracks as well as my master (this being the way I have been taught)

I master within the box (inserts on the master bus) gently compression 2-5db gain reduction, followed by a little makeup gain to bring things back up. I then use some subtle tape emulation and soft clipping. Things are still relatively tame. For my penultimate plugin I use a waves limter. I push this as far as I need to get some 'volume', however the reading on my final plugin (a meter which detects digital clipping once my track is played on consumer gear) detects digital clipping if I push the limiter too hard. If I back off a little my tracks are still not as perceivably loud as commercial tracks.

What am I doing wrong? My mix sounds fine... Everything has been recorded using proper gain staging (with very little noise) I have stuck a high pass filter on most tracks.

I think I understand exactly what your problem is, I've given an answer in this forum about this subject, here it is.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ore-volume-out-my-mixes-378611/3/#post4296491

Let me know if that was the problem you were facing, if not let me know what I got wrong so I can help properly.

Also consider using compressors in series for a more compressed but transparent sound.
Google it , it will help you achieve what you asked for :)

I think I understand exactly what your problem is, I've given an answer in this forum about this subject, here it is.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ore-volume-out-my-mixes-378611/3/#post4296491

Let me know if that was the problem you were facing, if not let me know what I got wrong so I can help properly.

Also consider using compressors in series for a more compressed but transparent sound.
Google it , it will help you achieve what you asked for :)

Are you sure that is the link you want? That is right in the middle of the debate stuff...

THIS is where I would start it. Or just copy your post here without the argument stuffage. :)

Well shit, I tried to organize and place your post here, but evidently because the post date was earlier it added it before the OP's post.

ADMIN!!! SHARON!!! LOL!

Are you sure that is the link you want? That is right in the middle of the debate stuff...

THIS is where I would start it. Or just copy your post here without the argument stuffage. :)

Yes I'm sure this is the link I want, cause that's the reply I believe he needs,
if he's got to scroll all the way down and change pages to find the reply I would better just copy-paste it here just as you said :D

I don't see a reason not to link somewhere with a debate, he won't really care to read the debate since he doesn't care, and even if he did so what? Forums are not about agreeing all the time, he'll be fine.
If it's about not bringing life to the thread by replying cause it's got a debate in it, then I understand, but it's locked anyway he can't reply and bump it, so still no issue to link directly there.

Just my 2 cents, do what you gotta do, you're da mods :D

Last edited:
Back