Has anyone worked with the Fostex CR-500 Mastering Recorder ?

Thrip

I haven't yet found any knowledgeable re the CR-500 on other blogs, -does anyone have any experience with these Fostex CR-500 Mastering Recorders?

Before it was discontinued, I bought a new one, (I currently hold a renewable extended warranty).

I'm not as of yet recording "In The Box" -but these Mastering Recorders are supposed to be mighty compatible with Pro-Tools & Logic etc. -By all appearances they look to be a good thing. -Actually I haven't come to the point of firing it up & using it yet.

It's odd that no-one seems to have anything to say about them. -I'm looking for any feedback or advice re this CR-500 Mastering approach.

-Like can one actually produce a professional Master with one ?

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Thrip

It's an outboard burner that will burn (up to) 24bit files onto CD-Rs. It doesn't do any 'mastering' of your mixed tracks. These days does anyone really send a physical form of songs to have CDs made?

Not a mastering recorder - A master recorder. A digital deck used instead of an analog tape deck. Fostex's stab at the MasterLink.

AFAIK, you can use it to author a properly formatted disc (if that's the info you're looking for).

Not a mastering recorder - A master recorder. A digital deck used instead of an analog tape deck. Fostex's stab at the MasterLink.

AFAIK, you can use it to author a properly formatted disc (if that's the info you're looking for).

-When you refer to "Masterlink" -is that the Alesis Masterlink ML 9600 ?

When reading the blurb on the Alesis website -it almost seems like what I'm really looking for...

-It begins by calling it a, "state-of-the-art in do-it-yourself mixing and mastering system", then goes on to say that it's good for, "archiving and transferring high-res. audio files TO the mastering room.

-RE Alesis website re Masterlink ML 9600;
"Presenting the new MasterLink ML-9600 two-track hard disc recorder - literally, the state-of-the-art in do-it-yourself mixing and mastering systems.
Only MasterLink lets you capture your mixes in stunning 24-bit, 96kHZ; edit your recording and apply finishing tools - such as high-resolution parametric EQ Compression, limiting and normalizing - all in the same system and then burn the finished recording in either industry-standard Redbook, or new high resolution CD24, fast becoming the new standard for archiving and transferring high-res. audio files to the mastering room."

I suppose it'd be good enough for A/B referencing -or temporary study masters?

*I've now also found out about the existence of the;

DBX DUAL CH Compressor/Limiter/Noise Gate (approx. $290.00)

Behringer Ultra Curv & Pro (approx. $405.00 )

DBX Quantum Digital Dynamics Processor (approx. $2,700.00) -perhaps discontinued;

Does anyone know anything about these units ? (-Is there a better such device out there?)

-On the "In the Box" side of things there's a well regarded & affordable software direction re the IZOTOP OZONE Version 6 for making your own masters. -I'm slowly becoming more interested in working with computers -but really not ready to commit quite yet.

For more money there's also the highly recommended Sequoia mastering software to think about.

But for my present pocket book situation -I`ll likely be looking at something like the Alesis ML 9600, the DBX DUAL CH Compressor/Limiter/Noise Gate -perhaps I could hook that up with my CR-500), or the Behringer Ultra Curv & Pro.

I still like the idea of making one`s own masters in an out board device like that, (if it can be done well enough) can a good direction be suggested

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier to do such things (PQ coding, etc.) in the box... The ML9600 and the Fostex units are fine for some things -- But if you're in the box and don't mind staying there - heck, even if you go out through outboard gear and back in -- there's just no use for them. I haven't touched my MasterLink in years. I have a DV-RA1000 that's collecting dust also.

I'll save my commentary on Ozone...

I can hardly recommend Samplitude / Sequoia enough. Although there are a few bugs to work out in the new versions (although I guess they all have some bugs here and there).

Heh... I have a Quantum II collecting dust also. But it's a backup converter set if nothing else. The conversion is actually quite good.

Anyway, back to the matter -- There's a reason people are basically giving those things away. You certainly don't need some DBX comp/limiter (noise gate...? Not handy). You don't need - well, anything that says Behringer. Not for mastering. You could certainly find a Quantum or QII for under $1,000. Hell, I'll sell you mine for $995. It really is a decent unit, although I wouldn't necessarily use the internal processing. Nothing in there you couldn't do with Samplitude Pro X. But if you're going outboard, it's a decent and rather forgiving converter set with pretty good SRC.

Heh... I have a Quantum II collecting dust also. But it's a backup converter set if nothing else. The conversion is actually quite good.

Anyway, back to the matter -- There's a reason people are basically giving those things away. You certainly don't need some DBX comp/limiter (noise gate...? Not handy). You don't need - well, anything that says Behringer. Not for mastering. You could certainly find a Quantum or QII for under $1,000. Hell, I'll sell you mine for $995. It really is a decent unit, although I wouldn't necessarily use the internal processing. Nothing in there you couldn't do with Samplitude Pro X. But if you're going outboard, it's a decent and rather forgiving converter set with pretty good SRC.

I'm going to research a bit further into the matter, (-the pros & cons of getting committed to the "in the box" way sooner rather than later...) -However, considering that I would need to proceed with a computer with at least 8 GB RAM -or possibly even 16 GB RAM -should I go that route, I'm still looking at out board solutions.

-So I will taker note of your Quantum II and may get back to you about it John. -I wonder if you would consider selling your ML 9600 ?

Thrip

Back