Getting a project mastered by a pro

bouldersoundguy

Went up to Airshow Mastering with my studio partner yesterday to play some tracks and see if they'd be interested in mastering a project I've mixed. Quite the room.

Jared_Airshow.jpg

And....???

He's into it. Criticisms were minor on the three tunes we brought. I was pretty nervous about bringing my mixes to a mastering facility of this caliber, but I think he liked what he heard. It was pretty awesome hearing the songs on his system, and hearing him do some preliminary tweaking.

I must say that I have been impressed with a recent mastering job done by artist that recorded in my studio.

Mastered by Adam Ayan at Gateway Mastering Portland, ME Gateway Mastering Studios

I sent the ME both my home master as well as the raw master out. His was IMO a way better final result.

Here is the video:

YouTube

Of course that does not reveal the difference between both as this is compressed. I have the wav files for both mine and what Adam did. Give me a few. I'll play the difference. If I actually have the right's to do that. I better check first.

I have gotten permission to use both for this forum.

Sorry, it two big full wav downloads. But it is there for anyone to listen to if you have the desire.

I find the subtle differences the reason why I would have another experienced ME master a song that I produced. I just seems to feel better with an educated outside ear. And it sounds better on multiple systems, where mine was iffy on some. Learning experience for sure to me.

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive...-311932e65176/Boys Like Me M7 Home Master.wav

I sent them as two separate tracks instead of a zip file. So they are on two pages with separate download links. Click Right Tab for second mastered version.

Jimmy, I'm interested in checking these examples out but busy at work and leaving for vacation soon. Can you leave these up for a bit longer?

Jimmy, I'm interested in checking these examples out but busy at work and leaving for vacation soon. Can you leave these up for a bit longer?

Link is set to never expire. So as long as I keep paying the monthly fee, it will remain. Have used Hightail/Yousendit for over 5 years so looks good. :)

Have a great vaca! Doing anything super cool? Though any vacation is just that...

Last edited:
I sent them as two separate tracks instead of a zip file. So they are on two pages with separate download links. Click Right Tab for second mastered version.

Both versions sound good so the mastering step wasn't very critical IMO. The Gateway master is a tiny bit more cohesive, the vocals especially jump out a bit less iun the mids/lower mids. That seems to translate to the acoustic as well. It does seem smoother but I wouldn't say it makes the song work any better than your Home mix.

Don't like the song (fwiw). :p

Both versions sound good so the mastering step wasn't very critical IMO. The Gateway master is a tiny bit more cohesive, the vocals especially jump out a bit less iun the mids/lower mids. That seems to translate to the acoustic as well. It does seem smoother but I wouldn't say it makes the song work any better than your Home mix.

Don't like the song (fwiw). :p

I do notice a bit of difference. Like I said the pro mastered versions sounded more stable on multiple listening sources than my version did.

As far as liking the tune...Well I am more of a rock/metal guy myself so this is a bit different for me. Chicks really dig the country tune so 'fwiw' works for me as well. lol

I have 27 more tunes like this to go on this project. A bunch of them covers of 90's rock tunes. 'L.O.V.E.' (Wasp), 'I Remember You' (duh), 'Faithfully' (duh), 'On With The Show' (Motley Crue), 'Jane Said' (Jane's Addiction), and a Zepplin tune. Needless to say I have my hands full of country shizzle.... But it helps to pay the bills and the dood doesn't suck. So here I am. Learning by doing. :)

Cheers!

Yeah I had a hard time noticing any significant difference I kept playing A&B through various parts and yes maybe in a few spots the vocals were more present...but hell I mean we are talking splitting the hairs off of a gnats ass...Guess what I'm saying is You done a damn fine job alls on your own son!

I'm old so I guess I can tolerate country more...the song was AOK to me...

Here's screen shot of the waves compared

compared.jpg

Yeah I had a hard time noticing any significant difference I kept playing A&B through various parts and yes maybe in a few spots the vocals were more present...but hell I mean we are talking splitting the hairs off of a gnats ass...Guess what I'm saying is You done a damn fine job alls on your own son!

I'm old so I guess I can tolerate country more...the song was AOK to me...

Here's screen shot of the waves compared

View attachment 100129

Thanks man!

Yeah, it was split hair kind of thing really, though I still do like the mastered version more on multiple systems.

Truth be told, the artist really wanted a mastering house that has had Grammy award winning songs in his credits. That I think was the main reason he paid for it. And I think that was a good move for him in promoting his song and now video.

Mike River - Boys Like Me (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Just spent the last two days getting this mastering job done. It was quite an experience listening to the whole thing in that room.

Airshow Mastering Boulder.jpg

Back