Feedback on Mastered tracks

Nearly impossible to comment on the mastering without hearing the unmastered mix. But in this case, there really is no mix except for the room. So, I... Uh...

Anyway -

That said, if this is just a stereo room recording, you've accomplished a pretty decent sounding stereo room recording. Sounds like a fairly out-of-control space though... Not necessarily in a bad way - and not necessarily a bad-sounding space - But not a typical 'intimate' jazz recording either. Soundcloud is doing a number on your top end, but I'm assuming that's just Soundcloud.

On to other things -- Next time, try SDC's. Even a Zoom (H4? Something like that). For straight-from-room recordings, they do quite a decent job picking up a surprising amount of detail and rejecting a surprising amount of the boxiness in many spaces.

thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback, I'm totally new to this!
Can you tell me what you mean by "out-of-control-space"?

I recorded using 2 behringer ldc in blumlein configuration. They were all that I had.
arranging the players away from the mic in terms of loudness.

The space doesn't sound ---- nice? It doesn't sound exceptionally problematic, but it would be great (IMO) to hear more direct, less reflect.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm totally new to this!
Can you tell me what you mean by "out-of-control-space"?

I recorded using 2 behringer ldc in blumlein configuration. They were all that I had.
arranging the players away from the mic in terms of loudness.

Were the players arranged around the mics or mostly on one side of the mics? Blumlein will pick up sound from all sides, including the sound reflecting around in the room. If you use a mid-side (cardioid mid) or an X-Y or some sort of spaced pair with cardioid mics and arrange your group in an arc you might have a less roomy sound.

Okay, just listened in my HD280s. Nice playing. I take it you have the mics in the middle of the room with the group all around. That's an "interesting" sounding room. Some treatment might help calm it down a little. I'm hearing different parts of one instrument come from different directions. The bass lows are sort of centered but the string slaps are coming from over my left shoulder. The horn is a little to the left but I hear some parts of it coming from the right via some sort of reflection. Drum placement is pretty vague except for one tom way off to the right.

I think If I were to stick with stereo mic technique I'd rent a small theater designed for acoustic performances. If you're going to get that much room in the recording it might as well be complimentary.

Back