are eq,comrpession and after effects needed ?

just wondering....

I've recorded all my tracks using sonar and when I try to get all the levels right using volume faders it just never sounds right.... it is most probably my ears and not being able to tell when something is too loud or quiet... or thinking something should be louder when it is already loud enough...

but what I was wondering is can a song be recorded and finished just recording and adjusting levels ? or is eq,reverb,compression and the likes always needed to get a good final mix ?

because i'm as clued up to the point of hitting record and adjusting levels and adding a few reverb/echo/chorus effects but when it comes to compression and eq I have no idea... and don't fancy needing to take a course on it as I barely get time to myself to sit and record as it is.

so can a good sounding song be made from just recording and level adjustment alone or am I going to need to get a book on how to get it sounding right ?

cheers guys and gals

It's possible to use just volume to mix but it won't have that modern sound. Pretty much all music other than classical, traditional and some jazz has been substantially compressed at multiple stages of the production. And although it's a nice goal to record so you don't need eq it's often not a realistic expectation.

Eq is simply tone control with more options. Use it to fit the various tracks together tonally. If something has too much or too little of some frequency range then use eq to bend it to your will. Of course you need well recorded tracks to work with so don't skimp during tracking assuming you can fix it later.

Compression is like a very fast hand on the volume control. It can keep a vocal or instrument level under control, but it's generally a good idea to even out levels using your DAW's clip gain function first, then apply compression and then use volume automation. Learning to hear dynamics and use compression can take some practice.

... and don't fancy needing to take a course on it as I barely get time to myself to sit and record as it is.

There are other options. Read articles and watch videos/tutorials. Sound on Sound is a good starting place - they discuss most aspects of recording and the pieces are written by professionals. The best learning experience is to try it and see if it works, really. Also, posting a song in the mp3 clinic section might get you some more precise feedback on your mixing.

I would say all my tracks are recorded pretty well... I watched for clipping and everything is line recorded no mic'ing anything up....

drums are from digital drum kit.... did all the parts separately except snare and toms.
bass is lead in
guitar is lead in with effects pedals.

I can get a somewhat decent sounding track my biggest problem I have is the bass sound... I find I either have it too loud but notes can be heard clearly or not loud enough to hear the notes but the drums sound better for it.

I will have a look at eqing and see if I can maybe bring the bass notes out a little more.... then i'll take on vocals lol cheers.

yeah I think what i'll do is record my songs and post them to see if what I'm hearing to be " good " is in actual fact " bad " I think my own judgement is off... I listened to songs I thought were similar in sound and attack and realized that certain things were way to loud in comparison yet while mixing I felt the song was a little to flat sounding when it was at the level of the comparison song cheers.

You are probably not monitoring ideally, either - what monitors are you using? Does your room have acoustic treatment?

You are probably not monitoring ideally, either - what monitors are you using? Does your room have acoustic treatment?

I just bought some active monitors from studio spares that came with stands and I've set up my desk bang in the middle of them.... the room isn't set up in anyway its the corner of my living room next to the window.

its a small flat, small living room, no noise very quiet area and all doors in room shut.

In a perfect world every tone or sound that is created by an instrument or voice, whether acoustic or through any amp or in any room will sound just perfect. But the reality is just is not so easy.

There are so many variables that it is impossible to really give a realistic opinion on where to start.

Experiment, read, record, rinse repeat...

Lol in a world with unicorns lol. True if its sound good its done for blue grass. Not in todays EDM/Pop/HipHop world with 60-70 Track sessions. The goal is to get it to sound its BEST not "good". So there for EQ and comp are used in the professional realm 100% of the time.

(This is targeted at those learning Audio Engineering and its process and value) :guitar:

It's possible to use just volume to mix but it won't have that modern sound. Pretty much all music other than classical, traditional and some jazz has been substantially compressed at multiple stages of the production. And although it's a nice goal to record so you don't need eq it's often not a realistic expectation.

Over-compression is never a good idea. I don't care what genre it is.

Back