Embedding ISRC codes?

d.bop

Hi I have a few questions about embedding ISRC codes into each master. I hope you can help me.

1.) How do you do it? (doh!) :D
2.) Is it necessary to use ISRC's for demos/local short-run masters that won't be sold in stores?
3.) Do I provide them, or does the record label?

I understand there's a $75 fee and with that, I'll be able to assign up to 100,000 ISRC's per year.

I would like to become a professional mastering engineer in the future. I'll probably be asking a few questions here in the meantime! :)

Thanks for your help!

1.) How do you do it? (doh!)

You need software that can embed them like Wavelab, CD Architect, etc.

2.) Is it necessary to use ISRC's for demos/local short-run masters that won't be sold in stores?

ISRC codes are for tracking play of individual songs. Do you want that? I don't think whether they sell in stores or not is a factor.

3.) Do I provide them, or does the record label?

I would think the artist/label would provide them. The codes (and recordings) belong to them. As a mastering engineer, you're just encoding the CD for them.

I was part of a small bunch of mastering facilities with a prefix for a while as a 'trial' of sorts -- Still have it, of course... I'd assume the RIAA figured out that there was a (VERY) limited number of available prefixes and that if every band out there that got together for one EP and then broke up, with no charge for the prefix at the time, they'd run out quickly.

I wasn't "volunteering" to apply ISRC's mind you... Those are permanent and I'm obliged to keep those records permanently. I'm not a fan of having to keep such records for such long periods. But if someone was up against a hard date and didn't have a prefix, okay, here you go.

That said - I'd much rather they supply their own codes. Enough online distribution sources apply them at no charge at this point - But again, you have to have those codes before you author the production master. I know that - A lot of the bands don't. That makes for some rather hurried decisions occasionally...

Thanks for the replies!

So it sounds like I should ask future clients to provide their own ISRC's before we begin the mastering process. That's something I could include in a "getting ready" handout before the session begins.

If the band can't/won't provide me with a set of ISRCs, is it a violation of the Redbook standard to not include them on the final disc? If it does violate the standard, is it acceptable to charge a fee to provide the codes for a client?

Thanks again for the replies. I'm off to do some research! :cool:

It's not a violation not to have codes. But if they're looking at being able to possibly get any airplay whatsoever, online sales/distribution, etc., they might want to have those codes handy.

Charging for codes... That's a rough road I wouldn't want to go down.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I agree with not charging clients for codes, I just wasn't sure what 'the norm' was in that type of situation.

Is there anything else I should know about ISRC? Or is it pretty much just receiving the code, typing it in, and keeping a log of the ones I provide for clients?

Back