CD data

mckelly46

How do I burn a CD so I can read date about each track. Song title, author, etc. I know this is easy with mp3s, but what about .wav tracks? Logic Pro X doesn't seem to have ability to attach data to .wav files.

Kindest regards all,

Michael

Hi,
You don't attach the data to, or embed it in, the wav file; The data is burned onto the disc in addition to the wav files.

MP3s, as you describe, work differently.

What you want is CD authoring software. Many suites will do this, and i'm far from an expert on the topic, but there seems to be an understanding that some do it to a better standard than others.
Anyway, for basic use something like nero will probably do what you want. :)

Generally you import the wavs, fill out the info per song, then burn, fill in the global info for the disc, then burn.

Thank you ... and now I'm wondering. In the mastering process I put all my mastering and bounced tracks in one file, then use Perception to balance the volumes. I initially thought I might be able to put information for each track then burn the entire thing with the data showing. Now, I seems like dragging each mastered file into CD authoring software might be the way to go.

I'll look into this a bit more ... a quick and initial search brings me to Roxio's Toast 14. Might this be the best solution?

I don't know anything about perception but, yes, Toast is a viable tool.

As I said, I don't know anything about standards, or reputations, but I know Toast can do what you want.

Nero definitely does it, I use Nero and my music CDs have always had the CD Text* added.

* - note that it's called CD Text, cd data is a completely different thing.

Nero definitely does it, I use Nero and my music CDs have always had the CD Text* added.

* - note that it's called CD Text, cd data is a completely different thing.

it's also called metadata, CDtext is just the nero word for it.

from wikipedia:

Digital music[edit]
Metadata is "information about information" and it is one of the really useful features of digital audio files. When audio went from analogue to digital, it became possible to label or encode audio files with more information than could be contained in just the file name. That descriptive information is called "metadata".
Metadata can be used to name, describe, catalogue and indicate ownership or copyright for a digital audio file, and its presence makes it much easier to locate a specific audio file within a group – through use of a search engine that accesses the metadata. As different digital audio formats were developed, it was agreed that a standardized and specific location would be set aside within the digital files where this information could be stored.
As a result, almost all digital audio formats, including mp3, broadcast wav and AIFF files, have similar standardized locations that can be populated with metadata.
CDs such as recordings of music will carry a layer of metadata about the recordings such as dates, artist, genre, copyright owner, etc. The metadata, not normally displayed by CD players, can be accessed and displayed by specialized music playback and/or editing applications.
The metadata for compressed and uncompressed digital music is often encoded in the ID3 tag. Common editors such as TagLib support MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, MPC, Speex, WavPack TrueAudio, WAV, AIFF, MP4, and ASF file formats.

Technically CD Text is an "extension of the Red Book Compact Disc specifications standard for audio CDs,", it's not merely metadata. It actually serves a specific purpose, originally intended for standalone (and car) CD players to display artist and track info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

What you're thinking of are the imbedded descriptors within modern digital files (which can only be displayed on a CD player if that player is specially programmed for it, but are generally only useful on computers and MP3 players). From your own quote:

CDs such as recordings of music will carry a layer of metadata about the recordings such as dates, artist, genre, copyright owner, etc. The metadata, not normally displayed by CD players, can be accessed and displayed by specialized music playback and/or editing applications.

The metadata for compressed and uncompressed digital music is often encoded in the ID3 tag. Common editors such as TagLib support MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, MPC, Speex, WavPack TrueAudio, WAV, AIFF, MP4, and ASF file formats.

So going back to the OP's question, CD Audio (WAV file embedded) metadata alone won't have the effect they desire. They actually want CD Text.

Think of CD Text as the old school disc-level, pre-computers way of tagging that track info on a music CD. Metadata as the newer file-level, computer based way of doing it (mostly intended for MP3/FLAC, etc). In theory, if you wanted all bases covered, you could (and maybe should) do both. I've only ever focused on CD Text for music discs, and added appropriate metadata to the MP3 and FLAC files I've distributed.

Last edited:
in Wavelab there is the metadata and also CD text, the text is designed for CD players ONLY for it to read that text on playback, the metadata is actually embedded in the file itself, that's what I meant.

in Wavelab there is the metadata and also CD text, the text is designed for CD players ONLY for it to read that text on playback, the metadata is actually embedded in the file itself, that's what I meant.

That's not what you posted, hence the needed clarification and explanation.

CD Text and metadata are not the same thing. You erroneously 'corrected' me. It's okay to be wrong, no need to save face.

How do I burn a CD so I can read date about each track. Song title, author, etc. I know this is easy with mp3s, but what about .wav tracks? Logic Pro X doesn't seem to have ability to attach data to .wav files.

Kindest regards all,

Michael

With a CD, you can use CD-Text, but that only displays information in car players and maybe some others. It doesn't work for Windows or iTunes.

For that, you need to get ISRC codes and embed them in the metadata of the CD using software capable of editing PQ codes. I know Wavelab can, but I don't know about Nero or Toast. Maybe they can.

That's only half the solution. The other half is to register your ISRC codes with Gracenote.com. That is where WMP and iTunes pull the song title, author, composer, etc from. Not from the CD itself.

MP3s, as you mention, provide the means within the file itself. CD's do not, except CD-text.

That's only half the solution. The other half is to register your ISRC codes with Gracenote.com. That is where WMP and iTunes pull the song title, author, composer, etc from. Not from the CD itself.

CDDB and gracenote offer the ability to enter a CD into a software player (WMP, iTunes) and have it detect the album based on number of tracks and length [no CD Text, no metadata]. Having metadata isn't required so long as you put the legwork in ahead of time to have the album's details uploaded to their database. There's only a handful of players that work with uploading to Gracenote. I'm not sure CDDB's use and distribution is as wide as it once was, but I have a few players/rippers that work with uploading to CDDB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDDB

CDDB was designed around the task of identifying entire CDs, not merely single tracks. The identification process involves creating a "discid", a sort of "fingerprint" of a CD created by performing calculations on the track duration information stored in the table-of-contents of the CD (see the following section for an example calculation). This discid is used with the Internet database, typically either to download track names for the whole CD or to submit track names for a newly identified CD.

This information is often provided by end users.[12] In iTunes, which uses Gracenote, users name the CD tracks and then use the "Submit Track Names" option under the "Advanced" heading in the toolbar to submit track information.[13]

Metadata does make it easier though with the newer database services. As previously mentioned, it's best to just apply all these strategies. In the case of CDDB/gracenote, you only need one or the other (metadata or manual entry via the 'discid'), but for universal song/artist displaying with a music CD on all possible player types then you would want CD Text, as well as metadata/cddb for the software players to pull from.

That's not what you posted, hence the needed clarification and explanation.

CD Text and metadata are not the same thing. You erroneously 'corrected' me. It's okay to be wrong, no need to save face.

no need to give me a bad reputation comment either, seriously, chill out dude.

no need to give me a bad reputation comment either, seriously, chill out dude.

We're exchanging information in this thread, so if you want to leave snarky comments and not contribute/add constructively then just walk away.

Btyre2013 said:
lol at how silly this thread has become

In one thread just about everything any forum member might ever want to know about this subject has been discussed at great detail (with most of it even being fact-checked). This is pure fodder for the knowledge base that IS this forum. Without such threads and knowledge this forum is a useless pile of banter and opinion [and misinformation].

This is how forums work, maybe you're spending your time doing the wrong thing if you don't see this isn't about stroking your ego/pride.

Guitar loop tracks

I want to create simple, one trac guitar loops to support solo performance gigging with my guitar. I want to burn to a CD. I don't want to go thru all of the mix and mastering steps but I want the song titles to show up so that I can select them to burn to my CD? Can anyone help me with an easy set of steps to do this?

Back