Brightening Question

Multi-band compressors are nothing to be afraid of if you understand how they work and know how to use them. IMO.

Multiband compressors have their uses. For simple brightening of a mix it's a bit of an overkill tool, like trimming your toenails with a demo saw.

Multiband compressors have their uses. For simple brightening of a mix it's a bit of an overkill tool, like trimming your toenails with a demo saw.

I think yes and no, If all you need is a little top end then yes, if what is needed is several small adjustments to several frequencies the the multi-band might not be a bad thing to try. Sometimes if you add a little top and compress some of the low frequencies as well as make some small adjustments in other needed areas they can give the mix a sparkle or help you find the sweet spot. Again it is real easy to screw things up if you are not careful with these things. If I think my mix is even close I save that version then go to work on a new version in case I hit a point of no return, am not happy with what I have, and want to go back to where I started. Learned that one the hard way.

Back