Boost vocal on a single-track?

anhphu24041992

My friend just sent a me live recording track he recorded from around early 90's and ask me if I could boost his vocal a little bit. And I really confuse why in 90's they add a lot of reverb to the track, so I am unable to do anything on the vocal.
There is a stereotype that boost mid-EQ can improve the vocals' volume, but not on this track.
May you give me any idea?

Thank you very much!

in my experience of mastering my own tracks, i've found that the widening of a track can affect the perceived volume of the instruments. putting a stereo widener on the master buss might help bring up what's in the middle by pushing everything outward more. however, everything that is centered will also be up - so depends on what's in the middle of the track. try it out

it's also possible i'm getting it mixed up and it increases by decreasing the width...someone else will chime in, i'm sure. but a stereo effect will definitely alter the perceived volume one way or another.

Stereo wideners generally decrease the stuff in the middle as they make things sound wider.

In fact, there is a way to raise and lower and pan just the vocals of your master using the ADX VVC. The video sounds very impressive. It can be used to separate the reverb too

Here: ADX VVC

Back