Best place or person to go for reamping/mixing and mastering my metal album?

PREVAILED

Title really says it all.. What engineers or studio's can you give me contact information to for these services? Would like ones that have references to metal work?
I have a 10 song album that I'm in the process of recording DI's and also have a MESA 4x12 mic'd (Shure SM57) up for a dirty signal..
This is my solo project so I'm using Toontrack Midi drums (which should help speed up mixing time, compared to a real kit)
My budget is $250-300 PER SONG..

Thanks in advance!

I can think of a good mastering place... ;)

And I've done boatloads of metal stuff mixed by Jason Walsh at Farview Recording (he hangs out here too at least occasionally)...

So shameless.... ;)

Really though....MM will get it mastered for you.

I'm curious about the reamping. mixing and mastering remotely.
Mastering would be a bit easier, assuming the mix is pretty much there...but this would be almost a complete session done remotely.
I know some pro studios can work in real time across the net, but when you have to send files back-n-forth, and you're dialing in a lot of things, amps, FX, processing, mixing...etc...and then finally mastering...
...seems like it would take a lot of time unless you let the studio/engineer make most of the choices, and you just approve from 2-3.
IOW....I know how picky guitar players can be, so to have someone remotely dialing in their tones, seems tedious....but certainly doable with enough time/effort.

I can vouch for MM's work.

Apparently the forum rules mean that anyone who performs those things professionally can't tell you in this thread; though I suppose they might be allowed to PM you? Either way, you might need to move to a different sub-forum.

I send everything to Massive mastering. I've also been known to mix Metal over the internet...

I agree with you that it would be very time consuming to send files back and fourth till you have a satisfying mix. In the end would probably end up costing me..
I'm tracking my dirty signal along with my clean DI.. It's not that I dislike my mic'd tone, but having the DI hopefully someone could help me get what am exactly looking for with a few examples of bands guitar tones I like..
You got me thinking though.. Maybe I should do the best mix job I'm capable of, then have whoever it might be do the final tweaks before mastering.

So shameless.... ;)

Really though....MM will get it mastered for you.

I'm curious about the reamping. mixing and mastering remotely.
Mastering would be a bit easier, assuming the mix is pretty much there...but this would be almost a complete session done remotely.
I know some pro studios can work in real time across the net, but when you have to send files back-n-forth, and you're dialing in a lot of things, amps, FX, processing, mixing...etc...and then finally mastering...
...seems like it would take a lot of time unless you let the studio/engineer make most of the choices, and you just approve from 2-3.
IOW....I know how picky guitar players can be, so to have someone remotely dialing in their tones, seems tedious....but certainly doable with enough time/effort.

It's not really that time consuming. The first song takes the longest, because that is the one that establishes the sound of the album. All the songs after that tend to fall together and the only real discussions revolve around effects and such.

Most people, including me, who mix over the internet don't charge by the hour, they charge by the song. It's normally based on track count, amount of editing, tuning, aligning that needs to be done. The back and fourth doesn't cost extra, it's a necessary and unavoidable part of the process when doing things over the internet.

I get a lot of projects from foreign countries, and sometimes it takes a while to communicate because of the language barrier and time zones. But everyone knows that going in.

It's not really that time consuming. The first song takes the longest, because that is the one that establishes the sound of the album. All the songs after that tend to fall together and the only real discussions revolve around effects and such.

Most people, including me, who mix over the internet don't charge by the hour, they charge by the song. It's normally based on track count, amount of editing, tuning, aligning that needs to be done. The back and fourth doesn't cost extra, it's a necessary and unavoidable part of the process when doing things over the internet.

I get a lot of projects from foreign countries, and sometimes it takes a while to communicate because of the language barrier and time zones. But everyone knows that going in.

A big yep. Same thing here.

And no VHS, it is not against policy to respond to someone asking for a member to perform work. Just not allowed to promote such services in a 'spammy' fashion. Many of us do such things.

It's not really that time consuming. The first song takes the longest, because that is the one that establishes the sound of the album.

Maybe if every song in the album keeps pretty much the same tone flavors, which I guess is possible (though maybe boring) for some albums...but I'm thinking like, when I do a dozen songs, the guitar tone alone would be different for all 12 songs, and the first song wouldn't really sound anything like the second or third, even if the album has some cohesive "sound"... .so that would be time consuming to dial in all those individual tones if the person dialing and the person who needs to decide, are not in the same room....to re-amp all those guitar tracks with individual tones, etc.
I dunno...maybe people aren't as picky as I assume...?

Straight-up mixing of complete tracks is a different story...I'm mostly wondering about the reamping thing.

I'm not saying it's impossible, and I would think with enough per-production conversation and some examples given, it can be done, but it could involve a lot of back-n-forth.
I guess if the client was like a singer...who just wanted solid mixes as a vehicle for his/her vocals, and they were willing to let the mixer makes a decent amount of decisions without too many questions....but man, if you got a real PITA picky client! :D

I'm tracking my dirty signal along with my clean DI.. It's not that I dislike my mic'd tone, but having the DI hopefully someone could help me get what am exactly looking for with a few examples of bands guitar tones I like.

Yeah...that would help...especially if you also provide your own amp track, then the mixer will have a good idea where you were going.

You got me thinking though.. Maybe I should do the best mix job I'm capable of, then have whoever it might be do the final tweaks before mastering.

Right...then you could hit up someone like Jay to mix, and the MM to master.

And no VHS, it is not against policy to respond to someone asking for a member to perform work. Just not allowed to promote such services in a 'spammy' fashion. Many of us do such things.

See, that's what I thought, but the last time one of these threads came up, I asked another mod (Chili maybe?), and he said it was not allowed.
Yeah. Here's the post: https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ine-mastering-378075/post4290573/#post4290573
Sorry for the derailing the thread a bit, but this is a point of some confusion for me.

Maybe if every song in the album keeps pretty much the same tone flavors, which I guess is possible (though maybe boring) for some albums...but I'm thinking like, when I do a dozen songs, the guitar tone alone would be different for all 12 songs, and the first song wouldn't really sound anything like the second or third, even if the album has some cohesive "sound"... .so that would be time consuming to dial in all those individual tones if the person dialing and the person who needs to decide, are not in the same room....to re-amp all those guitar tracks with individual tones, etc.
I dunno...maybe people aren't as picky as I assume...?
I would have to charge you like I would for a compilation album. But even if your guitar tones are all over the place, the drums would probably be the same (except for the snare possibly), the bass is probably pretty similar. If you use the same vocalist, I would only have to figure out how to deal with the quirks of that voice once. If you hyper-focus on just the guitar tones, it may seem complicated, but it isn't. It also isn't really very common for people to have more than three or four guitar tones on an album...especially in metal.

Straight-up mixing of complete tracks is a different story...I'm mostly wondering about the reamping thing.

I'm not saying it's impossible, and I would think with enough per-production conversation and some examples given, it can be done, but it could involve a lot of back-n-forth.
I guess if the client was like a singer...who just wanted solid mixes as a vehicle for his/her vocals, and they were willing to let the mixer makes a decent amount of decisions without too many questions....but man, if you got a real PITA picky client! :D
If someone needs something re-amped, they either have a specific sound from an amp they don't have access to in mind, or it isn't terribly important what the specific guitar tone is, as long as it works in the context of the song.

It really isn't as complicated as you think it is. Anyone who is really specific about the guitar tone would not be the type of person to leave it up to someone else to sort out.

It really isn't as complicated as you think it is. Anyone who is really specific about the guitar tone would not be the type of person to leave it up to someone else to sort out.

I never though it was complicated...I just said more time consuming to have to find/reamp tones and such working remotely, as opposed to doing a straight mix and simply tweaking provided tracks.

Your point about Metal may be the real deal...where in my case, I'm going to do uptempo Rock, slow blues ballads, Pop flavors and also some Country tones, so no, a few basic guitar tones or a couple of basic drum flavors wouldn't really work for me for every tune, though I guess even with that, there would some similar tread running....but then, I'm not looking to do a concept album or to promote some sort of overall style/image...it more a showcase for the songs, so that's why the variety of flavors. :)

And you're right...I would never leave much for someone else to sort out with my stuff. Even if I had someone else mix/master, the goals would be specific...but I get your point that for some artists the similarity of tone/style from song to song within an album is more the goal, and so once you find that, you can guesstimate the rest.

Anyway, I've only done a couple of things remotely for people, so you have more experience with that than I do.

It also depends on what sort of artist you are dealing with. If they are a guitar player who writes songs, the guitar tones will need to be more specific. If they are a songwriter who plays guitar, the tone just has to make the song work, what it is specifically isn't the point.

Back