Best CD writer to purchase in 2017 for writing Master CD ??

Pooyakhr

Guys,

Can sombody suggest me a good and trusty CD Burner for burning master CD? I know old is gold and there are some old second-handed brands on ebay but I need to get a new one.

Any suggestion for trusty new writer in 2017?

Thanks for your Help :)

If you can find a NOS Plextor (712, 716, 755, 760, PlexWriter - uh... There may be one or two others), you're golden. If not, really any quality drive is going to do you reasonably well. Not that I wouldn't still recommend DDP for use as a production master for CD replication... But if you have to use a CD-R, get a good quality drive and burn away.

When I found out that they weren't making them anymore, I started buying them up as I found them. I still have one or two 755's in the factory packaging.

They're not for sale... But I can tell you that it's a very, very rare occasion that I'm actually asked to create physical discs anymore. People finally (re)discovered DDP (again). Granted, DDP used to be a PITA and the real bummer is that the client wasn't able to audition the DDP. Over the past several years, that's all changed -- No more Exabyte tape, no more $K's in hardware and software to load it back in. Issa wonderful thing. Hell, Tayio Yuden doesn't even *make* CD-R's anymore.

[EDIT] The drive above would probably do you fine. Write at around 25-ish% of the drive's top rated speed (in this case, 12x for CD-R would be ideal, but anywhere from 8-16x would probably give you a quality render). Turn off any "burn-proof" type stuff -- (1) it'll take the disc out of spec if it kicks in and (2) if the system can't handle a 12x render of 1411 kbps, you've got bigger issues than the drive.

Last edited:
I got a Plextor (716) back when as the drawer in about every PC I've had seemed to end up sticking.
Is DDP viable for Win systems? (Only did a quick search. Thanks.

I think even Reaper does DDP export/import. HOFA has a bunch of applications, Sonoris developed an app that just about every "serious" mastering facility I know uses for client-side playback and disc authoring. A little more here if you're bored: MASSIVE DDP | DDP-to-CD-R Authoring Software | MASSIVE Mastering

DDP has always (and I mean long before CD-R's) been the preference at the plant -- It's finally funneling down to the artists.

Hell, Tayio Yuden doesn't even *make* CD-R's anymore.

I've got two large cases of the high-end Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs, unopened, sitting in a closet. :D
These are with jewel cases, not the bulk spindle stacks.
Someone had a really great deal on them, so I just grabbed them, but have yet to even crack open the tape on the cardboard boxes.
Most times if I'm just burning some mix test CDs for the car...I just use some generic stuff.

I have a decent stock of TY's here, but I think I've actually burned <10 this year. No one asks for them anymore - which is absolutely fine with me, as (1) DDP is and has always been superior as a production master and (2) it's not the authoring - It's the QC. I remember a few years ago burning around 16 discs to get a pair within spec. Just a small lot of non-perfect disc stock I guess. Most were within RedBook spec, but it took that many to get them within *my* spec (which is considerably tighter).

And geez - Quick reference stuff - Sure, a disc here and there but lately, I just 'iDrop" of whatever right to their phone and they go outside and listen in the car.

#Technology. :laughings:

I can't remember exactly what happened, but Plextor stopped making the "pro" models. Not long after, Tayio Yuden stopped manufacturing discs. That's when we all figured the end of the CD-R was near.

And yes - There's an app for that. ;)

Industry specs aside, burning at the slowest rate the disc can handle (most discs will burn at 16 or 24x nowadays) and having the burning software verify them should be satisfactory.

Back