Basic Master or level matching

We have a bunch of tunes recorded and mixed in various locations that we're using as an "album". I'm content with the individual mixes but I'd like the "album" to have some consistency.
I'm using Sonar X2 Producer, is there a tool that will at least match levels? I'm hoping to avoid adding too much compression. Is a limiter on the master bus my best option? Is there another tool to use to match levels without compression?
Thanks,
-j

We have a bunch of tunes recorded and mixed in various locations that we're using as an "album". I'm content with the individual mixes but I'd like the "album" to have some consistency.
I'm using Sonar X2 Producer, is there a tool that will at least match levels? I'm hoping to avoid adding too much compression. Is a limiter on the master bus my best option? Is there another tool to use to match levels without compression?
Thanks,
-j

Are all of the recordings already mastered and dithered down to 16 bit?

If pulling up all the mixes and remastering isn't what you wish to do, I would just suggest importing all of the final mixes into one project.

I would probably place a limiter on the master out and adjust the level of each song itself and use the limiter as a guide. If already mastered, don't use the limiter to change the levels of a louder track. And don't dither again!

Now if some of these songs sound different in regards to frequency response or different sound from different studios or sessions, you may want to eq each track individually. I cant give an opinion without hearing the tracks.

I would definitely never use a compressor to do this for you. Even normalizing is an option, but that only sets the output of one track at a level determined by it's highest peak. Not really useful for putting together a compilation CD.

However, you need to know what to point your ears at.

Look for stuff that is common to tracks and that you would expect to have a similar level. Pretend its a band in front of you. You would expect vocals, acoustic guitars, drums to be broadly consistent from track to track. However, you need to respect the nature of the tracks. Some will want to be quieter, others more boisterous.

Thanks for the input folks. I didn't want to waste time re-inventing the wheel unnecessarily. With 2 little kids and an overly-full time job it's hard to find quiet time to mix/master.

Massive Master, can you clarify? What do you mean by 'ears'? Is that what you call those weird flaps on the side of my head? What do I do with them? Using my ears never occurred to me! I didn't even know it was a possibility!! I feel enlightened! My days of mixing just watching the little flashing lights are over! You really should get that printed on a T-shirt.

Back