Any thoughts/experiences with "MasteringWorld"? Issue with Discmakers brings me here

kerchmusic

Any thoughts/experiences with "MasteringWorld"? Issue with Discmakers brings me here

I completed a project and am having it duplicated by Discmakers. I decided to go ahead an also pay for their mastering package.

When I received the audio proofs back, I was really disappointed. The songs were too limited and compressed, almost as if I could HEAR the compression as it was happening (sort of a "pumping" sound at times if that makes sense.) Even though I provided direction to favor dynamic range over loudness, I felt like they went straight for making the levels as big as possible.

Anyway, I'm now trying to find a good alternative that's somewhere in the same price range for a full album of 12 songs, $500-$700.

I came across a site that intrigued me called "MasteringWorld," made up of three different studios in the U.K.

Online Mastering & Audio Mastering from the online mastering network | Mastering World

They came out with good marks in a seemingly unbiased article that compared a few UK-based online mastering houses:

On-line Mastering Services Shootout!

My problem is, I can't seem to find many other comments about them online. They have plenty of testimonials on their site (obviously), but I can't seem to find much in the way of unbiased reviews anywhere else, positive OR negative. Maybe the term "masteringworld" is just too generic, I don't know.

In any case, does anyone have any experience with them or know much about them? Would be very interested to hear any thoughts or other recommendations.

I will also say this for Discmakers: although I was not pleased with the mastering result, they have been absolutely great from a customer service perspective. They've offered to take another crack at my songs with a different engineer OR offered to refund my money with zero hassle, so I truly appreciate that and may take them up on it. But the mastering job they did sort of left a bad taste in my mouth for using them again.

Back