YouTube Channels That Give Music Tutorials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP LovE

Hello everyone! My name is JP LovE. I am a recording artist/mixing engineer and I recently started a YouTube channel that gives studio tips and tutorials for musicians to help them in their craft.

I was informed I could start the thread in this section and I don't want it to seem at all like I am spamming as I am not going thread by thread posting my channel. I would love to hear other YouTube channels that you guys know of that give music tips or advice and if your a fellow YouTuber post your channel below and we can share tips and ideas.

I just posted a video yesterday and will update this thread as a upload more. You can check out my video called "How To Make Money In A Home Studio" here:

I am best at sharing my advice and tips through video as I can not articulate what I'm trying to say as well through written word, but I am going to work on that in this forum. If you guys have any videos you would like me to make or any questions for me feel free to ask away!

I'm not just here to release my videos , I am really excited to become a part of this audio community here at home recording.

If my link to my channel gets taken off for whatever reason, I apologize you can find me on facebook or youtube as JP LovE Official. And remember to post your channels or your favorite channels below and lets get chatting about audio tips.

If I am breaking any forum rules, I apologize please let me know. I will do what needs to be done to fix it. I was told by a moderator that it was ok if I posted this here after posting my last thread in the "newbies" section.

Awesome! I'm watching your video 'Overview Of The Basics" its a long video but it looks like your thorough with it. The lighting and video quality looks good to man. You got a subscriber here! I can't wait to see what else you post.

Thanks Greg :D

My hands-down favorites are Warren Huart's Produce Like a Pro: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpyUGZeMUtOvt57UACw3H2g

Warren is a bona-fide industry heavyweight (with engineer/production credits on albums by Ace Frehley, Aerosmith, The Fray), and a genuinely nice and likeable guy. He does walkthroughs of all of the big studios, interviews with every engineer that you've ever heard of, gear reviews, mixing tips, and he's highly engaged with his viewers/commenters. Honestly I don't know where he finds the time. IMHO it's the most important recording/mixing vlog out there.

And there's Glenn Fricker's SpectreSoundStudios channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SpectreSoundStudios

Even though I'm about 0% interested in the Canadian metal scene, Glenn is one of the most entertaining engineer vloggers out there. Regular content updates every week, no-bullshit reviews, highly opinionated editorials, lots of cussing, and a truly visceral hatred of bass players. I love it.

I want to like The Recording Revolution : https://www.youtube.com/user/recordingrevolution/featured

...but I just don't. I can't explain why. I guess that everybody can't just like everybody else.

Then there is Dave Pensado at Pensado's Place: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCno8mYpnGhTA9COSW9sP8gQ

And Pro Studio Live: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuOkUQ_9AJmzgeZbNjS4oYw

Last edited:
I love Warren's videos. I feel like even when he is interviewing he doesn't act like he knows more than them he is always learning and that is super appealing to me because I believe no matter how good you are we are all students in this craft.

I haven't seen Glenn Fricker's but I will check them out now. That link above goes to Warren's channel but nothing a simple YouTube search cant fix.

I like the recording revoultion but I know what you mean I feel like his videos are more idealistic, other than his interviews but its not as detailed as warrens IMO.

And Dave Pensado is by far my favorite. I watch Pensados place constantly. I remember when it first came out and they started their FaceBook group Pensados Students, I am still an active member on there.

Those were great recommendations for anyone looking into this crazy audio world. Thanks for sharing all of that with us here.

My New Video Just Got Done Processing! Its My New Series called Making Music | A Beginners Guide. This episode is called Getting Started!

Here it is:

Awesome! I'm watching your video 'Overview Of The Basics" its a long video but it looks like your thorough with it. The lighting and video quality looks good to man. You got a subscriber here! I can't wait to see what else you post.

That's not mine. That's Tadpui's channel.

I'd try to make a channel but doing video doesn't get along with me.

You could totally make a channel about recording awesome sounding guitars and drums. Tone Thread: The Movie :D

Compared to the cost of a Plexi and a 4x12, it wouldn't take that much to get a solid little camera, a couple of lights, and some editing software. YouTube needs somebody that knows what the hell they're talking about, and you're an authority on sweet-ass rock guitar and drums.

Hello everyone! My name is JP LovE. I am a recording artist/mixing engineer and I recently started a YouTube channel that gives studio tips and tutorials for musicians to help them in their craft.

I watched a couple of your videos. I do appreciate what you're doing, and your enthusiasm and determination are commendable. My only suggestion is that when somebody comes along with topics like "how to succeed" and "how to make money", the first question that comes to mind is "who is this guy, and why should I take his advice?". I'd present your credentials somewhere, either in the "about" tab on your channel, or in an introductory video that plays for non-subscribers (trying to figure out how to do that myself).

I know that I'm a nobody, so I've tried to keep the tone of my fledgling channel geared towards the absolute beginner. I have no credentials, no portfolio, and no delusions about being a big deal someday. So I've been trying to use the only thing that I DO have, which is experience in recording at home. That's my one resource that I feel that I can leverage to help people. My only goal is to be a landing spot for a few people that are looking to get started recording at home, and that don't have the attention span of a fruit fly. I fully admit that's a pretty small demographic, but I'm comfortable with that :)

I think that if you're going to give advice about success or making money, then you're going to have to leverage your own success or fortune to lend some credibility to your advice.

You've got a good start on a few of what I'm starting to realize are the touchstones of a popular YouTube channel (most of which I'm not very adept at, myself):
- frequent updates
- a stylized approach
- good presence in front of a camera (unless you're Dave Pensado)
- a focus on your subject
- an enthusiasm about your subject matter

Haha do it that would be amazing! You don't need anything to crazy for a camera, get one used for under $300 thats would be a good quality entry dslr

Hey TadPui, thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it. I defiantly do need to give some sort of credentials. I am not trying to seem like someone that makes millions or can guarantee success to someone just someone who has finally gotten to the point where I make a large portion of my money from recording and mixing artists and another portion of my money from filming and editing footage so I think I have a little bit of insight. That's why I wouldn't claim to be able to "show you how to make millions" Jusy show what I've leaned so far. I definitely need to make a video explaining all this. Thanks for helping make that clear that's awesome of you

No eye condition just using bright lights and then constantly checking focus and the video on my external monitor and I don't want it to seem like I'm constantly looking away from the camera. It's a little trick a lot of people use when you recording yourself and can't have someone checking it for you :)

You could totally make a channel about recording awesome sounding guitars and drums. Tone Thread: The Movie :D

Compared to the cost of a Plexi and a 4x12, it wouldn't take that much to get a solid little camera, a couple of lights, and some editing software. YouTube needs somebody that knows what the hell they're talking about, and you're an authority on sweet-ass rock guitar and drums.

Ha thanks, but no. I have a really nice camera already. It sits unused in it's case unless the wife needs it for something. I have a Go-Pro thing too, but I've never used it. I don't know how to make a video, not even the basics, and I'm not really interested in undertaking a new learning curve.

Greg, a video of you describing how you dial in an amp then mic it up for recording great tone would be really handy actually. For everyone.

Tone Threaders - we should start an e-petition!

Tad, I like your videos. In the last year I've made loads of progress with my recording, mainly down to guys like you, Greg and Bubba. However, there's still loads of basic shit (including basic terminology, the benefits and drawbacks of headphone mixing etc) that I just don't know - your videos have been great for that.

Greg, a video of you describing how you dial in an amp then mic it up for recording great tone would be really handy actually. For everyone.
But I don't wanna help everyone. I feel like current trends have forced my hand to just let the sucky stay sucky. :laughings:

But I don't wanna help everyone. I feel like current trends have forced my hand to just let the sucky stay sucky. :laughings:

haha, I can see you doing a really good video, starting with the amp all on 12 O'Clock, describing how it sounds in the room and the difference to a mic in front of the grill, describing altering the EQ on the amp and mic placement to get a good tone etc. Then someone else coming on and saying that they just think that's too much effort and that you should just EQ it in the DAW.... then you'll somehow get banned.

haha, I can see you doing a really good video, starting with the amp all on 12 O'Clock,

It's funny you say that. Sounding good with everything at noon is part of my criteria for deciding if an amp is "right" or not. There's no science or technical wizadry to back up my feeling this way, it's just how I am. I feel that if I can flip on an amp, put everything at noon, and it sounds good, then it's good. Nothing else matters. No matter what amp it is. It's all gravy from there. Sounding good with everything on 5 leaves you a lot of room to fine tune it even further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back