YouTube Channels That Give Music Tutorials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just posted a music information video from Pensado's Place with the grammy nominated guest wearing sunglasses...

Well...when you ARE a Grammy nominated whatever or some big name artist...then it's cool to wear sunglasses indoors during interviews.
Plus, a lot of those old guys wear them to hide the bloodshot eyes and bags. :D

When you are just some unknown younger dude...it looks like you are TRYING to be cool with the sunglasses indoors.
I guess it makes you come off like a poser (and I don't say that your are, I just say it makes you look that way...IMO).
The focus/frame thing doesn't really cover it. ;)

If you like went to a class for something, and the instructor walked in wearing sunglasses and kept them on the whole time...I'm sure you would think the same thing... "What's with this guy, does he think he's cool or something wearing sunglasses indoors". :)

The next frontiers for me are a) making thumbnails for my videos, because random snapshots of my hand gestures aren't doing me any favors, and b) making a solid intro and outro to use and re-use. My black-screen thing with a half-mixed theme song isn't doing any favors either.

A good resource for intro's and outros in Fiverr. I got my intro for $5 and imo it's worth way more. It's not the best but I got it sent to me in less an hour and it works good for me.

If you like went to a class for something, and the instructor walked in wearing sunglasses and kept them on the whole time...I'm sure you would think the same thing... "What's with this guy, does he think he's cool or something wearing sunglasses indoors". :)

That's funny. In college I had an American History professor, who was british by the way, go figure, and he would pretty often wear sunglasses in class because our class was very early and he was a total drunken wastoid. The bright fluorescent lights must have been hell for his hangovers. He must have had some dirt on someone to keep that job. Worst professor ever, but history doesn't really have to be taught anyway. He'd come in and say "read this and this and this and we'll talk about it next week". Class dismissed, back to the pool tables.

Well...when you ARE a Grammy nominated whatever or some big name artist...then it's cool to wear sunglasses indoors during interviews.

So it's not really about the sunglasses but more about the fact I don't have a large following or any major placements haha

This thread is awesome so far you guys are funny as hell haha I'm loving it. I don't think I would ever walk in and teach a class wearing sunglasses but then again I wouldn't have the lights on me or the need to check a little screen for focus ;) lol

but I guess it's a good thing I'm not trying to be a professor just someone who has been making music for as long as I can remember and want to share what I've learned throughout the process

I think to many people are trying to be an authority or "expert" in a field and aren't just honest about where they are at and what they're trying to accomplish

Agreed. There are WAY too many youtube channels from random nobodies that really have no business trying to guide anyone about anything.

Exactly, that's why I try to make it clear why I'm here. When it comes to certain aspects of music I definitely believe I can help, that's where my tip videos come in for everything else it's just me along my journey of working everyday to move forward and learn more in music

OK, I've got around to watching/listening to your video:

1. The glasses look shit.
2. How to make some money from your home studio - and the first point is: Get a DAW, that's a digital audio workstation. People who don't know that aren't going to be in any sort of position to record and mix anyone, let alone for money, any time soon. You even say later that it will take you a few years to get good enough.
Your other points are pretty good, albeit general points, they're about practising hard and gaining exposure

Hey let's give credit where credit is due - the sunglasses worked. We can't stop talking about his channel! :thumbs up:

That's what's wrong with YT....EVERYONE has something to say, and it's usually just general blah, blah, blah, that's already been said a million times, or about stuff that people with any amount of common sense can figure out on their own.

I think way too many people just want to be on YT...to be on YT....so they try to create a legit reason for putting up videos.
It's the new way to "blog". Instead of posting your endless random thoughts on a webpage...people now post YT videos instead.

Hey let's give credit where credit is due - the sunglasses worked. We can't stop talking about his channel! :thumbs up:

Greg, are you gonna wear Lucha Libre mask when you do your "documentary" about dialing in and miking up an amp?

People who don't know that aren't going to be in any sort of position to record and mix anyone, let alone for money, any time soon.

That is exactly why I put it in my video, I have had people ask me the question of how to start making money when they have never actually recorded anyone in their life. Unfortunately on YT you can't assume people have common sense. I didn't want to to get to specific like "make a squarespace site and run FB adds to gain business" because it would just get to be to much for the person who has never made money with their studio, that would be a different video of pushing your home studio business further

That's what's wrong with YT....EVERYONE has something to say, and it's usually just general blah, blah, blah, that's already been said a million times, or about stuff that people with any amount of common sense can figure out.

You could probably say the same about most forums, but if you have practiced and have a skill that you feel confident in and then someone asks for an answer you speak your mind to help them out. I doubt most of us here are Grammy winning musicians but we all have good advice in our specific areas. I believe for the most part we are all passionate about music and we are here to gain advice and help others with what we've learned or simply to get a question answered. I don't see what's different with YT. :)

It's like unintentional grandstanding haha I seriously love all these opinions it's fascinating to me to see how much certain people hate sunglasses indoors. It's funny how one detail can turn into an entire thread haha

...we all have good advice in our specific areas.

But see, that's the thing...after seeing your "How to Make Money" video...there was nothing in it that actually revealed *how to make money*.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking that because I need the advice. I'm just saying your videos are pretty generic, and the best "specific" advice you have is to tell people to go elsewhere get the real information from other folks that actually know the answers.

Hey...if the video is supposed to be a Broad View 101 thing...OK...but there's nothing there that actually tells anyone how to make money, which is the title of your video.
It should probably be called..."General Info for Beat Videos".....and leave the "money" (and the sunglasses) out of it. :)

... it's fascinating to me to see how much certain people hate sunglasses indoors. It's funny how one detail can turn into an entire thread haha

"Hate" has nothing to do with it...amusing is more to the point, because the sunglasses come off as an attempt to say "I'm cool".
It's got that whole "Vanilla Ice" vibe going. :D

You have some knowledge/info...so if you are going to do the videos, be real (the sunglasses make you look fake), and give people more specific steps, which I know is harder to do and requires a lot more detailed information that actually works. Anyone can give generic advice....so why clutter YT with more of that when you could do something original that provides actual answers.

Last edited:
This is one of the best 'click bait' threads in a while. :D
There was mention of 'wanting to be part of the community'. I see litte of that.
I see more 'look at me', 'look at my sunglasses', 'look at my videos' going on.
And here we are. ...... discussing it.

I'd say your plan is working. You've got the promotion aspect down pretty good. Now work on the content. It could be much better.
:D

I'll be honest...if he wasn't wearing the sunglasses...I wouldn't have paid any attention to the video or this thread.
Actually...I didn't really pay much attention to the video, because after the first minute, I could see it was just a lot of generic "info"...but the sunglasses just made me laugh, so I asked if he had an eye condition. :D

I think he could do a lot more if he wanted to...provide better, detailed info to newbs, if he's going to take the time to do the videos...but it takes more work and effort to do that...whereas it's easy to just run through some general tips...and try to look cool doing it with the sunglasses. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back