YouTube Channels That Give Music Tutorials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny you say that. Sounding good with everything at noon is part of my criteria for deciding if an amp is "right" or not. There's no science or technical wizadry to back up my feeling this way, it's just how I am. I feel that if I can flip on an amp, put everything at noon, and it sounds good, then it's good. Nothing else matters. No matter what amp it is. It's all gravy from there. Sounding good with everything on 5 leaves you a lot of room to fine tune it even further.

That's probably a pretty good idea... and the reason that I don't really like any of the amps I've tried recently more than my Blackstar - I was using a fraction of the gain dial and pretty much all of them. Took me a while to work out the Blackstar and that seems to "suffer" from a similar problem, its so bottom heavy that I have the Bass and Mid on 9PM and the treble on 3PM. Doesn't leave much room for fine tuning.

No eye condition just using bright lights and then constantly checking focus and the video on my external monitor and I don't want it to seem like I'm constantly looking away from the camera. It's a little trick a lot of people use when you recording yourself and can't have someone checking it for you :)

....I make a large portion of my money from recording and mixing artists and another portion of my money from filming and editing footage...

Hire a Key Grip and Best Boy...that way you can take the sunglasses off. ;)

That's probably a pretty good idea... and the reason that I don't really like any of the amps I've tried recently more than my Blackstar - I was using a fraction of the gain dial and pretty much all of them. Took me a while to work out the Blackstar and that seems to "suffer" from a similar problem, its so bottom heavy that I have the Bass and Mid on 9PM and the treble on 3PM. Doesn't leave much room for fine tuning.
Well that's not that bad. I mean, amps do have knobs that spin for a reason. But if it were me, I'd think you're on the cusp of maybe needing something different. Knowing what I know about your struggles with that amp and knowing what you have to do to get a usable tone, I'd probably lean towards thinking you got the wrong amp for you. But...I also know you're pretty much a n00b to using and miking real amps, so there's a learning curve you're still working your way through. That's the process. And your sounds have gotten better and better. Whatever you decide to do with that amp or any other you'll have all of this foundation to build on, and that's a good thing.

Well that's not that bad. I mean, amps do have knobs that spin for a reason. But if it were me, I'd think you're on the cusp of maybe needing something different. Knowing what I know about your struggles with that amp and knowing what you have to do to get a usable tone, I'd probably lean towards thinking you got the wrong amp for you. But...I also know you're pretty much a n00b to using and miking real amps, so there's a learning curve you're still working your way through. That's the process. And your sounds have gotten better and better. Whatever you decide to do with that amp or any other you'll have all of this foundation to build on, and that's a good thing.

Yeah - part of the problems I had dialing the amp in were down to my ignorance of how to dial an amp in and always listening to the playing as opposed to listening to the actual tone of what I was hearing.

I've tried most amps (aside from Hughes and Ketner) that are around the same money as my amp and I don't prefer any of them yet. I really went off my amp for a while but I do like it again now, the only real regret I have is getting a combo when I should have got a head and cab.

Haha that would be a lot of overkill for a simple tips and tricks YouTube video and cost a lot more than a $10 pair of sunglasses, lol I kind of like the glasses too

Yeah - part of the problems I had dialing the amp in were down to my ignorance of how to dial an amp in and always listening to the playing as opposed to listening to the actual tone of what I was hearing.

I've tried most amps (aside from Hughes and Ketner) that are around the same money as my amp and I don't prefer any of them yet. I really went off my amp for a while but I do like it again now, the only real regret I have is getting a combo when I should have got a head and cab.

It's not too late to get a cab. I've always thought you'd take a big step forward with a separate cab. Combos just aren't that great for the sounds you usually go for. Can they work? Sure. Can you do even better with a cab? Yup. Just hook your combo to a 2x12 and sound bigger, tighter, louder, more focused, etc. Or get a 4x12 and sound even bigger. Or get two 4x12s and go full awesome! It's up to you. Actually your amp isn't powerful enough to push a full stack. Just get a 2x12. :D

Yeah....I kinda figured that's what it was. :)

They're your videos...do them how you like.
I just find the sunglasses indoors thing a bit too '80s "Hey, I'm cool" .

Haha that was awesome, yeah I can definitely see people thinking that, oh well they are practical for me and more comfortable than staring at bright lights without them. It's great feedback though, I should probably ditch them during my more serious videos

A 2x12 for home would probably be a more sensible purchase for me than a really expensive amp (or an ibanez semi acoustic) right now. I could trade my combo in for the equivalent head quite easily. The blackstar head would be a fuck load more portable than the combo too

It's funny you say that. Sounding good with everything at noon is part of my criteria for deciding if an amp is "right" or not. There's no science or technical wizadry to back up my feeling this way, it's just how I am. I feel that if I can flip on an amp, put everything at noon, and it sounds good, then it's good. Nothing else matters. No matter what amp it is. It's all gravy from there. Sounding good with everything on 5 leaves you a lot of room to fine tune it even further.

Always done that. It's magic.

Once played a gig at this place called the Coconut Teaser in Hollywood. They wouldn't let you use your own stuff. (Unless you were a major artist)

Anyway, my go to amp was always my Soldano modded Marshall. Everything set at high noon. That was my 'sound'.

They told me nope, ya gotta use the Boogie Dual Rectifier. No sound check, no nothing!

I was tense to say the least. Anyway I set it all to 12 o'clock, and damn if it didn't come close to what I was used to.

Got a new respect for those amps that day.
:D

Sorry for going off topic.

Haha that was awesome, yeah I can definitely see people thinking that, oh well they are practical for me and more comfortable than staring at bright lights without them. It's great feedback though, I should probably ditch them during my more serious videos

4 words on the shades. 'It's an image thing' That's it's main purpose, despite any rationalizations or explaination to the contrary :D
I'd bet my left nut on it.

4 words on the shades. 'It's an image thing' That's it's main purpose, despite any rationalizations or explaination to the contrary :D
I'd bet my left nut on it.

Haha then you'd probably lose your nut man, that would never be fun. Half of my videos I don't have the glasses on. All depending on how I have my lights or if I have my lights at all depending on the time of day I'm filming or if I have someone that can make sure the focus stays right. You'd be surprised at the number of YouTubers that use sunglasses when checking their own focus or framing.

Here is a good example: at 6:53 into the video. But I would for sure be lying if I said I didn't love my sunglasses or the way they look but specificly for filming there are very practicle reasons for having them. lol

And no problem for going off topic like you said in your last post, that is the point of this thread is to start conversations and get people talking. That is what I love about all of this

The sunglasses thing is kind of cheesy IMO. Even if your content is good, the look of sunglasses indoors makes me think you're just trying to look cool and/or compensate for something else...like maybe lack of content. It's just not a good look. It looks sleazy and dated. You know who wears sunglasses indoors? Two types of people. One is the middle aged white trash guy. They also shout "git r dun" and have plastic testicles hanging off the back of their pickup trucks. The other indoor-sunglasses wearer is the manicured douchebag. Neither one of these guys is someone I'd personally seek out for advice on anything.

You'd be surprised at the number of YouTubers that use sunglasses when checking their own focus or framing.

I didn't check out all your YT videos, but in the ones posted here, you don't move, you don't change the distance to camera...
...so why do you need to keep checking the focus and framing? :)

I did camera work for a small TV productions studio way back for a couple of years...and when we had a talking head at a podium or what have you, we set the the framing, focused the lens and the pretty much locked down the camera.

C'mon...it's just the '80s cool image thing...isn't it? ;)

Haha I love how much the sunglasses are the focus of the conversation haha its a fascinating data point really. I wonder how many people hate vs dont care vs love sunglasses indoors.

When it comes to why I have to check focus when I am not moving much is because I keep my camera on AF due to a couple videos in the past when I filmed the whole thing and couldn't tell I was barely out of focus from my 24mm 2.8 aperature which has a pretty shallow depth of field but gives me more light so if you barely move even 3-4 inches forward or back your out of focus. You don't need to move much especially because I'm indoors where I can't stomp down my lens much to increase the amount of the backround in focus with these DSLR's that don't do to well in mid-low light situations.

And when it comes to my sunglasses being a compensation for me having a lack of content, Im confused by what that would even look like. I don't think you could wear sunglasses and people would immediately think " I think this guy has great content" haha also not taking advice from someone wearing sunglasses indoors is a little weird to me as well or by anyway that someone is dressed.

But hey I mean everyone has their own perogative. I just appreciate all the feedback about it. Its great to have a good laugh and discuss all of this. I really wonder the analytics behind wearing sunglasses indoors in videos and what people think on average.

Just to add some fuel to the fire here is another sunglasses indoor offender haha

Haha then you'd probably lose your nut man, that would never be fun. Half of my videos I don't have the glasses on. All depending on how I have my lights or if I have my lights at all depending on the time of day I'm filming or if I have someone that can make sure the focus stays right. You'd be surprised at the number of YouTubers that use sunglasses when checking their own focus or framing.

Here is a good example: at 6:53 into the video. But I would for sure be lying if I said I didn't love my sunglasses or the way they look but specificly for filming there are very practicle reasons for having them. lol

And no problem for going off topic like you said in your last post, that is the point of this thread is to start conversations and get people talking. That is what I love about all of this

Nah, my nuts stay intact. :D

I dont watch TV, but I do look at a lot of youtube videos. From the ones I've seen sunglasses are the rarity. All legitimate educational music related videos I've seen are sans sunglasses.
When I see some shades in an instructional video my first reation is 'gansta, hip hop wannabe moron'. That video is gone!!!

Call me biased, prejudiced, ect. OR consider it valuable market research.
I'm probably not the only one who has a reaction like this.

And believe me, I love my Ray Bans. Just wouldnt wear them when doing a video.

Nah, my nuts stay intact. :D

I dont watch TV, but I do look at a lot of youtube videos. From the ones I've seen sunglasses are the rarity. All legitimate educational music related videos I've seen are sans sunglasses.
When I see some shades in an instructional video my first reation is 'gansta, hip hop wannabe moron'. That video is gone!!!

Call me biased, prejudiced, ect. OR consider it valuable market research.
I'm probably not the only one who has a reaction like this.

And believe me, I love my Ray Bans. Just wouldnt wear them when doing a video.

I just posted a music information video from Pensado's Place with the grammy nominated guest wearing sunglasses haha but I do see your point for the most part the tutorial or step by step educational videos aren't wearing sunglasses. Like I said in my last post I really do wonder about the market research on the subject. I wonder how many people would really use that as a way to say "This guy can't know anything because he is wearing sunglasses" and how many would not even care or focus on it at all.

That's what I love about YouTube, you can be you without needing to follow the certain rules of "the way things are supposed to be" so maybe I won't get a certain group of subscribers because I have sunglasses in some of my videos but that's ok with me because I would never skip over someones video for a simple clothing choice. I have practicle reasons for wearing them, sometimes I need to wear them sometimes I don't but I think whats most important. Whats most important is the content. Like they say Content is King.

I should do a video asking my subscribers how many of them hate the sunglasses and how many don't care, I really am super interested in the analytics behind it. haha this is a great thread so far!

I'm not a fan of the sunglasses. But considering the amount of attention that they've garnered here, that's probably an indicator that at very least they're a point of interest. And points of interest are a weirdly important thing in the zero-attention-span culture of YouTube. "Oh, yeah, the dude with the sunglasses!". It shouldn't be important, but it kind of is important. If I were shooting for maximum subscribers, I'd find some weird idiosyncrasy to be my thing. But I'm not, so I'm not gonna be "that boring home recording guy that also wears a Dr. Seuss hat".

The next frontiers for me are a) making thumbnails for my videos, because random snapshots of my hand gestures aren't doing me any favors, and b) making a solid intro and outro to use and re-use. My black-screen thing with a half-mixed theme song isn't doing any favors either.

I'm not a fan of the sunglasses. But considering the amount of attention that they've garnered here, that's probably an indicator that at very least they're a point of interest. And points of interest are a weirdly important thing in the zero-attention-span culture of YouTube. "Oh, yeah, the dude with the sunglasses!".

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. If I like it or not don't matter. Only one man's opinion.

In the oversaturation of youtube tutorials, a gimick can certainly help one to stand out in the crowd. :D
If you like wearing them, for whatever reason, continue. Be consistent. ALWAYS wear them. If the content is good, people will stick around, and youll be known as the sunglass dude.

There was this guy on the tube, that years ago started filming videos in his car. Mainly political stuff, and he called it drive time.
Well, his channel grew and got quite a subscription following. The car thing? It was a gimick. But the content was good.
Before long people started copying him. Now there's shitloads of videos of people in a car with a camera on the dash filming their rants.
As for music videos;
I like Warren Huart. Recording Revolution is ok just because it's protools he's using.
Dave Pensado is good, but he bores the shit out of me. Mixbuss TV is real good.
Reaper TV is always informative, but I've found myself more in the PT world.
The Daw studio is excellent.
Plenty others, but I'm sick of typing.

I'm not saying your sunglasses mean you have zero content. I'm saying that since you wear sunglasses in your videos, and since you use a sunglasses snapshot as the still frame pic for your videos, I haven't watched any of them. I see a random youtube nobody in sunglasses doing a video and I don't even click on it because my immediate thought is "this guy is a clown". Now, maybe that's your problem, and maybe it's my problem for judging a book by it's cover, but that's how it is. If you care that I haven't viewed a single one of your videos solely because you wear sunglasses then maybe you should realize that I'm probably not alone. If you don't care and think I'm just one ass and it doesn't matter, then that's perfectly fine too. You don't have to care, and I don't have to watch. Win for both of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back