What's the lowest you would charge for your cd???

crunkthanamug

The last cd i made was sold for $10 but i only sold around 25. Im thinking if i sold it for like $3 or 4 i would sell MANY more copies. My question is whats the lowest price you would use??? (assuming your main goal is just to get your music heard by as many people as possible)

I Strive To Get 5, But Around My Way Ya Know
Maaphuckaz Pass, If U Aint Down Wit Da Radio
Hopin To Git A Buck, Hustlin For A Dollar
Is Like Bein Witout A Vocal Chord, N Still Tryin To Holla
"who Is U?" Is What They Ask, Close Minded N Cheap
To Get My Name In The Streets, I Give Em Out 4 Free

I have been passing my CDs out for free...but honestly its not getting me no where. Its not gonna get me a show booked if im on the bus passing out free CDs that are worth $10 to me. Its true alotta these people are tired of getting ripped off by half ass hustlers trying to make a buck, which makes me feel like I belong on a different circuit. So Im debating right now about where to go from here. Sending in demos simply DOES NOT FUCKING WORK. Open mics seem to be my only option right now. Im gonna look for some right now. I dont have any album cover art or sometimes I dont even have jewel cases. I just pass out a CD with my name and number and I honestly expect my music to do the work for me. The truth is there is a thousand people that think they can do the same thing, and most of the time people cant tell the difference.

we sell ours for $8.00 through stores and online and for $6.00 at shows. people buy them... then again... we have been on the radio around here and television... also they're really good if you like pop/rock music. we gave away free stickers and free samplers to boost it off... then did radio and television interviews... I mean if it's good and you play shows and promote it - they will sell even at $10 or $12...

:confused:

Well, I ask $15 for mine. And I usually get it. But this is what I usually say when people ask me how much I want for my CD- and its true:

"I ask $15, but I've accepted as little as $4 and as much as $40." That's when I'm playing at a party or program where I know the people who are asking or know friends of theirs. That way folks without much cash can have a copy without it being at my expense, and folks who want to support me more feel free to do so.

If I'm playing a coffee house or something, I'll set the price at $15. If someone is interested but points out that its a CD-R I'll let them make me an offer. If you don't value yourself and your music no one else will either. I don't care that its not a "real CD"- all the costs of making it are in my time, my equipment, and the mixing and mastering that I paid for: its a damn good product and worth the $15 I'm asking. Easily.

I used to think about selling for $8 or $10- but that's a dead end road for anything except demos and EPs. If it makes you feel better to sell for less- cool. I totally understand that. I've just gotten to the point where I realized I'm just disrespecting myself and my talents by doing that. Its $15, but its still my choice to take less or even give it away.

Take care,
Chris

pro pressed official CD lowest i would go is $7
but i aim for $10

for a thermal printed mixtape in like a slim jewel case with artwork...

ill sell for as low as $3...usually for 5 though

cd cost

We sold ours for 3 bucks. People like that. Generally if you can keep it around 5 or 6 bucks, people will buy it.

most CDs that come out now from record labels can be had for $8.00 to $14.00... never really $15... and I don't care how talented you are... I would never pay $15.00 for a CD... even if Paul McCartney came to my house with a new CD and asked if I wanted the first copy. for one the prices are too inflated nowadays anyway... it used to cost $2.00 for a vinyl record... I personally think $15 is gouging. $8.00 to $10.00 ain't a dead end road if you can sell a lot. this is just my little opinion.

when it really comes down to it... a CD is another product... and if it is a CDR, it's lower quality. it doesn't matter how much your equipment cost, or how much time you put in to it... or even how good it is because people will buy anything. it comes down the the raw materials. I suggest $6.00 for an EP and $8.00 to $10.00 for a full length. if you can actually sell them, you'll make more than enough to keep making them and have a lot of extra cash.

Back