What is my audience? (is there an audience for this?)

I think most people don't take into account other people's opinions when they make music. You do what you want and are able to do and, like you said, sometimes it just happens that a lot of people like it.

I agree to some extent to what you say that those elements together may seem forced.

The video could relate more to the music, but it would be much harder and less interesting for me to do.

I did the video as a 360 3D experience (if you're watching on a PC you can drag the video around with your mouse or if you're watching on a smartphone or tablet you can just turn the device around):

Here's the (non 3D) 360 version. I haven't uploaded the 3D 360 version yet.

Then I saw the video "unwrapped" as a 2D film (like you have a globe and unwrapped to a rectangle) and preferred it that way.

Only after all that it occurred to me that this could be a live performance with the unwrapped video as background. So this performance was not planned to be like this from the beginning. I just grabbed what I had and went for it.

I liked the idea of an abstract trippy video with a few heavy songs. But that was just me :)

I am also thinking about different ways to present myself (minus the scythe):

image upload no size limit

Do you think it would work? I have the feeling that I would sing and act very different if I sang with that costume. This week I am going to meet with a friend and ask him to help me book a show nearby.

My advice for you would be to go on sites like "audiokite" or "reverb nation", also "we make music".
For a couple of dollars you will get feedback from people outside the music world - sometimes that's useful in order to find out who, or if anybody likes a song.

That is really interesting. I will give it a try.

In the meantime I am booking a small show at the local curtural centre with a discussion about suicide afterwards. I also expect to film the whole thing this time.

That is really interesting. I will give it a try.

In the meantime I am booking a small show at the local curtural centre with a discussion about suicide afterwards. I also expect to film the whole thing this time.

Performance art can be as much about costume and presentation, or as little about it, as you want. I've seen plain clothed artists on the street with crowds gathered around them. You may turn some people off with the 'disguise', it really depends on who you want to draw. If someone is only going to listen to you because you're wearing a cape, do you really want that particular person's attention? Unless you're going to pull a rabbit out of a hat, I'd say No.

If anything, your show as a plain dressed 'anyone' may be more alluring. It personalizes it, makes it more relatable.

In the performance at the cultural centre I had already given up the idea of wearing the costume precisely because of what you said, it would make it less serious. It would be a wrong, taking into account that there's a discussion afterards.

But I would like to give the costume a try if I have the chance, because I feel it would affect the way I perform.

The reason that makes me consider presenting myself as the grim reaper is that there are loads of small hooded characters in the film, so I would be one of them.

the beauty of the internet is that the market is global, so the simple answer is yes, there's an audience for anything.

this was very interesting and i enjoyed it alot...the best you can do is look for some groups on facebook and other communitys and become a bit invested and just share your stuff from time to time. and play live as well. you may not end up with loads of people loving it but there are probably a few and the most important is that you like it...i don't care for criticism , we are all different and enjoy different things. so the people critizing might have a taste very far from what you like. and trying to create music that other people like will fail. you should be selfish, indulge in what you like and just don't care for the people that don't like it...there is no way to please everybody and the only goal you should have is to please yourself

Back