What if all you have is your voice?

Nathalie

I desperately want a career as a singer but I don't write music or play an instrument. So am I screwed? How else are you supposed to advertise yourself? This I ask you because I look around and I see nothing out there for me....

Well, that's the rub isn't it? Unless you're one hell of a "song stylist" then it's bar bands/wedding receptions or nothing.

Hey, it worked for N*Sync & the Backstreet boys!

How many of the American Idol winners do you think play an instrument?

I can only offer these bits of advice:

Find people who play instruments in your city or nearby cities (local newspapers, churches, etc may be good places to check). Ask them to play for you. Get to know them. Tell them your situation, and ask if they'll help in exchange for something. Maybe offer them a little money or something for their services.

The harder, more time-consuming route would be to learn to play an instrument. Best way to go here would be piano or guitar.

Of course, you could always buy Karaoke tapes of your favorite artists/groups and make "demo" tapes of that, but I don't know what the legal implications are.

There's also taking the acapella route.

Maybe check your area for talent contests. Enter them and see how you do. Many of them will either let you sing a capella, or with a backup band or Karaoke music.

Heck, you don't even have to be a good singer, as long as you look decent or have a famous relative (see ashlee simpson). It's all in the marketing/promotion. Never underestimate the hotness.

Nathalie said:
I desperately want a career as a singer but I don't write music or play an instrument. So am I screwed? How else are you supposed to advertise yourself? This I ask you because I look around and I see nothing out there for me....

Then get in a band as a lead singer , do club gigs, beauty pagents, get a group of musicians together to back you, weddings, funerals, barmitzphas.....kareoke nights..ADVERTISE!....if you are a good singer...you dont need anything else. singers are just as needed, if not MORE than guitarists, bassists..etc...because the fact of the matter is, though a lot of people sing, there arent terribly many that are great.

teddy

Wow, thanks for all the replys. You've given me alot to think about! As far as the Karaoke goes I have contacted SOCAN to see about the legal implications. As it stands now I am using my website to advertise myself where I HAVE recorded myself singing some songs and put them up for people to listen to. So it's one step in the right direction. Do you think it would be a stupid idea to create a website for people such as myself to advertise themselves? Just people who want to get their names out there. Providing it doesn't break any laws....

Last edited:
Back