What to do when you're already in a band...

Ferry123

and make music yourself -at home- too?

Mostly my interest in recording ended me up in this particular situation.

Point is, I think I really made some pretty good home recordings. But... they're apart from the band I'm being in; they do not fit in the format of the band's songs.

I have a great time playing in the band, but when I find out my songs are 'better' or 'catchier' (for what it's worth), I am planning on forming a band myself.

Question is: will two bands go along?

Has anyone experience with this?

What is wisdom?

don't break up friendships or hurt people, but go with the best music (maybe they will go with you), don't make it too personal and make it more business - if this is the business you want to be in

grn said:
- if this is the business you want to be in

I guess so. I like to make music, but it shure would be more fun if it will be appreciated. Appreciated on such a scale, that I could having a living out of it, yeah.

Thanks for your answer.

Plenty of members of bands have done side projects or solo albums, so you're treading in familiar waters. Lou Barlow did solo stuff (early Sebadoh/Sentridoh) while he was still a member of Dinosaur Jr. However, that breakup was not the most pleasant. He was also a member of Folk Implosion during his Sebadoh years. Elliott Smith recorded his first solo album while still a member of Heatmiser. Neither of these guys' solo stuff worked with the bands they were in. Eventually, they ended up going leaving those bands.

It doesn't always have to be that way. Think of someone like Beyonce, who did a solo album, but has since reunited with Destiny's Child. Les Claypool had Sausage apart from Primus. Mike Patton had Mr. Bungle away from Faith No More. There are plenty of other examples out there.

If you plan to stay with your current band, timing and honesty will be the key to fitting in your other plans. Managing those dual obligations can be tricky. If you are unhappy with your current band, maybe it's best to keep the side stuff on the QT until you get it up and running. Then, you can leave your current gig to pursue the other.

No easy answers, to be sure. Good luck.

i dont see where theres a problem. i'm always doing side project stuff and i'll be commited to the band I'm playing in. the problem for me is when those band members want to get in on the creative process of my solo project. its hard for me to have to tell someone that i dont want their input, i just want them to play their instrument on this song the way that i want them to.

distortedrumble said:
i dont see where theres a problem. i'm always doing side project stuff and i'll be commited to the band I'm playing in. the problem for me is when those band members want to get in on the creative process of my solo project. its hard for me to have to tell someone that i dont want their input, i just want them to play their instrument on this song the way that i want them to.

Maybe there is no problem. Except of course when different gigs are on the same day/evening/night.

Funny, I could have posted that!

I play in a covers band most weekends. They're agreat bunch, but not at all interested in doing my songs. So after failing to interest them i decided to do it myself and do a solo CD album.

I don't gig solo. So far there have been no clashes of interest. It will be interesting to see how things go if my own stuff should 'take off' in some way, but that would be a great 'problem' to have! Maybe they would finaly come on board if I showed my stuff had potential, we'll see.

Like someone said the thing to be is completely honest. tell the other guys over a beer that you're working on solo stuff that doesn't fit the band's style - just for your own amusement. If they're friends they shouldn't mind. If any of them show interest, then why not invite them individualy to do a guest slot on one of your recordings?

There'll only be bad feelign if you start to let them down as a result of giving your own material/gigs priority. if it gets to that stage then you should consider quiting the band and going solo or forming a new one with the stipulation from the statrt that the band will play your music and you'll direct it.

glynb said:
.. the thing to be is completely honest. tell the other guys over a beer that you're working on solo stuff that doesn't fit the band's style - just for your own amusement. If they're friends they shouldn't mind. If any of them show interest, then why not invite them individualy to do a guest slot on one of your recordings?

You're right. I already have been honest about it. There were some pretty quiet moment when I told them. But they respect my plans, happily. And yes, I don't think they would mind playing some on recordings.

Around here, quality musicians are hard to find, so it's not unusual for players to be involved in multiple projects.
I'm involved with my 'main' band and we just released our CD... Our guitar player (not our original) also plays in a 'classic rock' cover band, as well as a jazz/fusion/mainly originals band. He brought along his bass player from that project to round out my 'main' band, and lately, I've been spending my 'free' time playing for them...
Our keyboard player plays drums in a local blues outfit, as well as a community 'big band'.

Anyone follow all that? Can you 'splain it to me? :confused:

I'm the only one in my band that isn't in another band. Bass player plays in a cover band. And the guitar player and drummer play bass and guitar, respectively, in yet another band. My band was together first (sorta) and admittedly I was a bit put off when the two guys started a side project, but it's all good now. I know they are dedicated to both bands, and we communicate well for show scheduling and stuff. Actually works out well, because if we need a band to share a show with, it's pretty easy to get them, because half the members are already there.

Now that I think about it, maybe I need to join another band too. that'll show them!

Playing with a band is not the same commitment as marriage. Making your own music or playing with others should not be met with the same horror a spouse would have upon discovering adultery. Honesty, smiles and friendliness go a long way.

I was in two bands. They fought over my time, like children. But I just wanted to play and learn as much as I could at that point. I record my own music at home, but have been thinking about getting in a band again.

Thing is, I don't want to just play cover songs for 3 hours a night. I'm still considering it, though, cause I miss being in a band.

Anyhow, it seems that the most important thing is yourself. Your band members most likely won't be around in 10 years, and you'll only be leaning on yourself.

I am only in one band but I know pleanty that are in more, including our bass player. The way we work is which ever band gets the date first gets the gig, this does mean we TALK to each other and be honest, and it works fine for us. It can be a bit frustrating when the other band gets the gig dates then you are offered them but all we say is that we are booked.... but it does keep all parties happy.

Mal

Back