web hosting

Hey, I'm looking for input from this wealth of knowledge about web site hosting. I'm looking for a good price and reliable web hosting services that include domain name. It must also be front page (with extensions) friendly. What has everybody found to be the best?

http://www.1and1.com I use their $10 a month Linux hosting (not sure if it includes FP Extensions), but their $5 a month Microsoft hosting includes FPE. This price also includes at least one domain registration. I use them for my personal website, as well as some client sites I've designed.

Also, check out doteasy.com for a great deal. My studio's site is hosted by them. Their price is $25 a year including domain name. Plenty of space and it's upgradable (for a price). They also offer deals such as more free space if you get people to sign up with them (shameless hint there). ;)

don't get suckered into that search engine placement stuff. those things work automatically, thats the whole point. if you want to manually add your site you can go to individual search engines and they all have a form you can fill out. it takes about 30 seconds of your life up and then you aren't paying some $20 "start up fee" that includes stupid search engine placement.

NL5 said:
...Remember - cheaper doesn't mean it's a better deal........

Amen to that.

solnigerwithin: I use Crystaltech Hosting and am using them to host my own music site, and well as several client sites. One client uses Frontpage, and the hosting plan they are on has accomodated them well. Reliable, great support, and you can register a domain name when signing up for an account.

All of the info has been very helpfull, thanks. I'm thinking of going with 1and1.com. I have an expired domain currently. I hired someone to do it, but now I am designing myself. When I tried to sign up to see what it involves, I am prompted to choose Transfer of Registrar or Point DNS to 1 and 1. Can anyone give any insight to the differences? Thanks!

check out globat.com . I go through them with a 1terabyte package for like $80/ year. I got my first year free too. They always have real good deals there. A lot of times you can register your domain for free if you purchase webhosting.

earthboundrec said:
check out globat.com . I go through them with a 1terabyte package for like $80/ year. I got my first year free too. They always have real good deals there. A lot of times you can register your domain for free if you purchase webhosting.

Hey - what kind of throughput do you get on that account? It is worded kind of funny, and sounds like it's an umetered account with a smaller pipe that has a max throughput of your bandwidth limit. If not, that is a HELL of a deal.

Thanks.

sorry, kinda lost me there... Do you mean the transfer rate for someone downloading off the website, or if there is a monthly bandwidth limit? I checked and it said my monthly transfer limit is 300GB.

1and1.com is good although better for the domain name than anything. I actually get free space now (haha suckers!) because my friend got me in on a deal a couple years ago where we got free hosting for a little while, thats up in 2 years a believe though so i'll be where u are soon enough!!!

Ben

http://www.starlogic.com has been pretty good to me for hosting. Very responsive customer service, and a pretty good deal. I think now they're running $7.50/mo for 5 gigs. Not bad, but they run deals all the time where you can get 3 months for 3 dollars to start with, which saves some cash.

BJW said:
http://www.starlogic.com has been pretty good to me for hosting. Very responsive customer service, and a pretty good deal. I think now they're running $7.50/mo for 5 gigs. Not bad, but they run deals all the time where you can get 3 months for 3 dollars to start with, which saves some cash.

My main host is Startlogic. I've been with them for almost 2 years now and they have been rock solid. I would highly recommend them.

Back