vocals

Tucci,

I can certainly feel your uneasiness. I was really just making a point, something to think about. I'm not afraid to use technology to enhance what's already there. Despite me opinion on the subject, you'll still find me taking lots of time to get artists that I work with to sing it until it's right (or the best that it's going to be). THen I'll use "tools" and "tricks" to make it better.

I suppose in the defense of a more natural recording/mixing style, compression, eq, reverb and most effects are generally used to enhance what is already created by the "talent". Autotuners and the lot are actually changing the source material in ways different from how it was originally performed, thereby attempting to substitute for the lack of talent. So I CAn see your uneasiness.

I think it's about moderation. Use the tools to enhance talent. Don't record people who have no talent. Ultimately, they/you will get caught.

Rev E

[This message has been edited by Rev E (edited 06-06-2000).]

Rev E,

Exactly! You said it so much better than I.

Reverb,compression etc. doesn't make the performance something it's not - it just puts the performance in a different setting and allows the listener to enjoy it more.

Auto-tune makes someone who can't sing a note sound like they have perfect-pitch. It's like one of those suits that super-heros wear to make them look real buff.

Tucci

Not you too jitteringjim!

Everyone is being seduced by the world of effects - they're swallowing the pill that leads one to believe that the effects make the music and not the songwriter and singer. The world of music is just going down the drain...sob.

What about Beethoven and Bach and Vivaldi and Dylan and the Beach Boys, well not the Beach Boys, but can I not listen to all this fxless music and love it? Can I not love it more than the fx sodden wonder bread that is played on pop radio today...

Tucci

I completely understand the attitude of auto-tune'ing and adding other un-natural devices on a vocal track. To add to the discussion, I use Auto-Tune quite often. If you try to do extreem pitch changes it does sound terribly un-natural, but with small changes it can turn 40 takes into one by capturing the emotional essence that you had been trying to convey with the 40 takes. It also is the perfect tool to get rid of that slightly chorused effect that comes naturaly when you make double tracks to fatten certain areas of a tune up (like harmonies, choruses, ect...).

Don't mean to butt-in but I was totaly against the idea untill I did some work on Pro Tools and saw some of these other effects used. In modern rock and pop they use all of this technology to it's fullest! Hell, they are even quantizing live drum parts with Pro Tools...tell me if that's natural!

The key point here for us do-it-yourselfer's is that if we want our music (if you are shopping it at all) to sound like the pro production stuff then we will all have to get on board some time or another???

Later;
ME http://MichaelErwin.cjb.net

P.S. here is a tune using auto-tune...I don't think that anyone would know the difference if I didn't tell them.(Windows Media Stream) http://members.aol.com/meonguitar/IcePrincess.asx

Michael,

Great tune! I really enjoyed it. It is very professional: tight, in-tune, non-competing licks.

Rev E

This one should be a winner for you and your band.

I agree with the "REV". Good music Michael!

I remember working with violin players and singers who would leave one ear exposed from the muffs in order to maintain their intonation. Anyone notice that before?

As for autotune technology, why not? Hank Williams and Patsy Cline didn't have it, and they sound in tune today. Back then, there was less capability than most of us have in our living room but if it helps, why not?

In a major concert production nothing is gonna be left to "chance" so they do "whatever" it takes to get it right. Same with recording. Anybody catch the Cher tune with the autotune thangy before Kid Rock? Anyone catch Chers "live" performances? Hmm?

Good post, joe

Ok, I guess there is nothing intrinsically evil about "auto-tune". BUT -

The thing that I dislike in most pop music today is that it is so perfect. It is over produced - there are no mistakes. IT is just like wonder bread and other mass-produced products. They are made in such a way that most people will find nothing objectionable in them but there is nothing really, really good either. It is all just blah...no matter how perfectly in tune or how perfectly produced.

I don't want my recordings to sound "pro". I want my recordings to have some life. e.g. Paul McCartney's first solo album "McCartney" - recorded in his living room. Poor production quality - one of my favorites because the music has life. You're there in his living room with him when you're listening to this album.

You guys all make good points...I just have this thing.

Tucci

Back