U2 Gives Away New Album NOW, No Money in CD Sales

I love it when things backfire.

Me too. :thumbs up:

Who the f**k do Apple think they are with their iVirus/Tunes anyway? Forcing music onto peoples devices. Some people still pay for bandwidth and have had some wasted, if they don't want the POS album.

Me too. :thumbs up:

Who the f**k do Apple think they are with their iVirus/Tunes anyway? Forcing music onto peoples devices. Some people still pay for bandwidth and have had some wasted, if they don't want the POS album.
I always laugh when people say 'get an apple, they don't get viruses' I remind them that they don't need viruses, they come pre-installed, (itunes). No M$ fanboy here, but i haven't had any virus worry me that i can remember. I live in a place where internet access is pretty archaic, and i hate the assumption everyone has access to unlimited bandwidth at broadband speeds.
Never been near itunes, but i haven't bought any commercial music through a 'big' distributor in any form for at least 5 years or more. Haven't pirated any either, but at this point i'd rather come to a site like this and listen to music people have created for the love of it, even if it doesn't all sound 100% 'professional'. I'd rather hear amateurs if professional means having it rammed down my throat. Nothing has changed, artists will always be screwed by businessmen.

I always laugh when people say 'get an apple, they don't get viruses' .

I heard that crap for years. There is a reason for it. Nobody writes virus to have them die. computer viruses need many hosts to propagate. Apple use to only have about 10 percent of the market. Now, if you are going to write a computer virus the infect computers and cause havoc, are you going to target a potential host that is used by 90% of the population or 10%?

I honestly don't know the numbers now, but I suspect they have changed much. Apple is making its $$$ off iPods and iPhones, not macs.

The only thing that is inherently virus proof about a mac is that they are islands unto themselves.

Not sure that any bandwidth would be used if you didn't download the album. It showed up in my iTunes but I had to download it to listen.

U2 did not give away anything at all. Apple did. Jesus, the music industry keeps getting more and more disgusting.

There are quite a lot of things a lot more disgusting about the music industry than Apple giving away a U2 album. Just look at what kind record contracts the average musician gets from a record label if you want to see disgusting.

Hendra Virus sounds like the foreign first cousin, twice removed, of Vicky Vomit and Rat Scabies !

Because I know you like this stuff GT: Hendra virus is named after the suburb of Hendra in Brisbane, Qld, Australia. I grew up in Brisbane and had an aunt who lived at Hendra. It was a horsey suburb... close to the racetrack at Doomben. My sister and I would get shipped off to the aunt for weeks at a time in October when the parents went on holidays. I can remember hearing the horses clop clopping around the bitumen early in the morning... and wandering around the place and coming across them in the street.

Bats too, obviously, but they're everywhere here... horses roaming the streets, now that was new...;)

There are quite a lot of things a lot more disgusting about the music industry than Apple giving away a U2 album. Just look at what kind record contracts the average musician gets from a record label if you want to see disgusting.

Sure. That too. But the fact that major multinational corporations are now outbuying rock records in order to make commercial profit and advertise is even worse in my opinion. Jesus fucking christ, what has the world become?

Not a big deal when you're already well established as one of the most successful bands ever. They're not the first to do this and won't be the last. I think the first band I remember doing this on a large scale was Radiohead.

This and it also increased sales of their other material greatly.

Totally OT, but i was at work today and saw this, and thought of this thread immediately...official signage always makes something more serious. Your papers please....
attention.jpg
But to steer this back to the topic, i blame Bono and Apple. :)
Maybe of interest to armistice, i grew up around the Brisbane area too, and those 'stable' suburbs around Doomben are just....weird.

Apparently Bono is working on a new album format from what I read, something that cant be downloaded illegally, so we shall see.

I find that hard to believe. Many times I have found some piece of audio that I want to slice out and send to my friend. Such as a talk radio segment or something without boring him/her with 20 minutes of crap, etc. I just play it and recording on my PC at the same time, and it does fine. How shall they stop that sort of thing? If it hits your ears, it can be recorded and propagated.

Last edited:
I didn't know this would generate the interest it did when I posted it. :D

Back