Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tips on how to succeed in the music industry?

chivalry is offline Newbie

Tips on how to succeed in the music industry?

Sign in to disable this ad
    i started taken music seriously since about 2 years ago and put up a couple of videos and songs on youtube and other sites. the thing is i havent had much success in terms of views or downloads at all and i just cant seem to get people to listen to me. i gigged in a couple of places but the people didnt reeally follow up to me....they were just there in that moment of time chanting woos.

so i decided to change my artist name, delete the vids and start all over again coz that shit just didnt work out even though i thought my songs would be the next big "hit". i mean thats the thing coz most of the songs i hear by unsigned artists sound very much like whats being played in the radio or could be the next big "hit" except they dont have the big 4 distributing em.

i dont know whether it could be the fact i dont like to follow commercial pop and rap styles or just that im not looking in the right places.

i know the industry is really hard to break into and sitting and just typing shit like this aint going to make me discovered overnight, but how do the others break in? And im talking about mainly those shitty artists who cant sing or write songs and have got a free ticket to fame and fortune. They either do one ok cover song and viola - youre signed to RCA or Universal even though there are 1000s of other artists whose musics WAY better.

im mainly a rapper but in an industry like this, my style doesnt fit (coz i dont rap how im going to club, get a girl, sex etc), and if the general public dont hear me on the radio or other places then im just another small mouse trying to navigate through this maze where no one knows of me even though i could have the best music ever in the world (lol jk).

so what should i do? Give up this hopeless dream now or up my game and punch it in the crotch?
    Last edited by chivalry; 07-08-2010 at 09:21.

Greg_L is offline Gregois le Bloodshit!
    Give up. It's foolish to even try.
    New Gregor The Terror album! Download - El Bastardo Azul Or Buy the CD!
    New and old stuff - Soundcloud & Reverbnation

Seafroggys is offline Why 2K?
    Music is a commodity that no one places any monetary value in anymore.

Just don't get involved, at all.
    The Want Ads - Something Wrong With Me - On Sale Now!
    CD Baby - Amazon - iTunes

chivalry is offline Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafroggys View Post
    Music is a commodity that no one places any monetary value in anymore.

Just don't get involved, at all.
    dont be a hypocrite.This entire sites full of wannabe musicians otherwise this site wouldnt have been made!

Chili is offline Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chivalry View Post
    dont be a hypocrite.This entire sites full of wannabe musicians otherwise this site wouldnt have been made!
    Most people here don't have expectations of getting rich and famous from their music. They just want to record their tunes and share with whomever will listen. Some people here have turned a buck, but I don't know of anyone who has made enough to cover their investments.

To reply to your original post, you've got to get above the din of all the other artists out there. And there are tons... millions of people out there with the same apirations as you. How are you going to set yourself apart from the rest of them? With your music?? Probably not.

Those who made it in the music industry did so because they got lucky or were extremely talented/skilled. But mostly lucky!!

So, good luck.

VomitHatSteve is offline Hat STYLE. Not contents.
    Get your act together so that your band sounds the best it possibly can.

Then get the right people to hear it.

Alternatively, if your goal is to make a living at music and not to be the "next big thing". Play a ton of gigs all over the place. Get to know local people in charge of booking gigs. Create some merchandise to sell at your shows. Work your a$$ off for every fan and every dollar.

dintymoore Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    ... I don't know of anyone who has made enough to cover their investments...
    I've made way, way more than I've spent from the music industry. Not in this last 3 years for sure, but in the last 30. I have friends who are multi-millionaires from just music. A guy I worked with had the #1 song on Billboard this year and was on Leno, Fallon and all the rest in the last few months, he's a multimillionaire. Another one of my buddies still makes $80K a year from a song he wrote in the late 70's. Yes it is very, very possible.

One common thread amongst all the successful people I know in music is that they all put passion above money and are all doing it primarily for themselves.

There's no secret, you just have to be very, very lucky. And here's the formula: luck = opportunity + preparation

I heard a golfer say "the more I practice the luckier I get".

Seafroggys is offline Why 2K?
    I think that's the thing. If you've been around for 30 years, yeah, back when the industry was different, even low-level gigging musicians could make a living. Now its next to impossible to make above the poverty line.
    The Want Ads - Something Wrong With Me - On Sale Now!
    CD Baby - Amazon - iTunes

dintymoore Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafroggys View Post
    I think that's the thing. If you've been around for 30 years, yeah, back when the industry was different, even low-level gigging musicians could make a living. Now its next to impossible to make above the poverty line.
    For me I was earning a heathy income up until 3 years ago.

I heard a repair shop owner recently say "it's like somebody turned off a tap". And that's what it's been like here. You don't hear people talk about it much here because probably most are hobbyists, and the pro's don't want to talk about it's cause it's embarrassing!

This is, no doubt, the worst economic time since the Great Depression of the 1930's. But I have a lot of hope that things will come back, better than before. In some ways it is better now than ever. When I came to this town everybody wanted to hear "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" and I felt like a straight guy at a gay sex party. Nowadays I can play pretty much what I like and people like it.

The most frustrating thing, the #1 question every waking hour is:

All this new opportunity - free Craigslist ads, any song you want you can get in seconds for free, pretty much free worldwide telephone service, put out an album in your bedroom for next to free, free or ultra cheap music gear that we would have died for years ago.... all this fantastic opportunity, and how the fuck do you make a single fuckin' penny off of it?

I found it somewhat comforting when I read that Prince has given up on the internet and is giving away his latest CD for free. It made me think "don't feel so bad, even he can't figure it out".

The good part is that in the 70's bands used to tour and loose money just to sell records. Now it's reversed. I like that because, to me, playing live should always be more valuable than anything else. It should always be #1.

Chili is offline Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dintymoore View Post
    I've made way, way more than I've spent from the music industry. Not in this last 3 years for sure, but in the last 30.
    Yeah, but that's mostly from gigs, not from CD sales, right?. You make a living from gigging, so I hope you've made way more than you invested.

And here's the formula: luck = opportunity + preparation
    That sounds like something Oprah would say. But it's true!!

peace,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information