For those of you who mix and master for paying clients

bart2712

To those of you who mix/master as a job/business for paying clients...I'm curious what the most common questions you get asked by clients are...the kindof things you could put on a FAQ page besides pricing and how long it takes. Anyone feel free to chime in.

Hi Bart (I'm new here)

I normally put no definite pricing information online - it locks you into a certain pricing model that's not always represenative of how much work goes into each project.

Usually I've found that word of mouth is much more effective than any online price guide/advertising - I quote by the project once I've sat down and had a chat/spoken on the phone with whoever wants to hire me. Ideally I try and get a look at the stems/audio I'll be working with before I quote too. It leaves a lot of room to take on quicker/easier jobs (clients with lower expectations for a demo/first EP) and bigger clients who are more serious about their work (and willing to spend the money for a full mix/master job).

As for usual questions, normally along the lines of 'can you do this', and my personal favourite stupid question 'how good will it sound'...

Having samples of mixes you've done for others (and received permission to showcase those mixes) is a big plus. If you are able/willing to work with a variety of genres, having a representative mix of those styles in your samples is helpful.

I don't do a lot of paid mixing (also not putting a lot of effort into finding clients either), so I don't have a deep reservoir of interactions to pull from. Most of the time they want to know how long it will take, which of course varies project to project. Like Jake says, having as much information about what they're going to be providing and what's expected helps you best answer a question like that. Typically, I have a more questions for the client than they have for me.

+1 to having a good set of examples of your previous work - if only to get the client interested in the first place.

The key thing is not to ask too many questions though, when I was first getting enquiries I would ask too much (in retrospect), so now I keep it to a minimum:
What style of music?
What deadline?
Examples of your previous work (quite important)?

The last one I find especially useful - you get to hear a band if they won't let you see the files, and give you a rough idea of how good/godawful they are and what their expectations are.

As far as FAQ's go...I stick with a paragraph of bio on me and some links to my previous work.

Hi Bart (I'm new here)

I normally put no definite pricing information online - it locks you into a certain pricing model that's not always represenative of how much work goes into each project.

Usually I've found that word of mouth is much more effective than any online price guide/advertising - I quote by the project once I've sat down and had a chat/spoken on the phone with whoever wants to hire me. Ideally I try and get a look at the stems/audio I'll be working with before I quote too. It leaves a lot of room to take on quicker/easier jobs (clients with lower expectations for a demo/first EP) and bigger clients who are more serious about their work (and willing to spend the money for a full mix/master job).

As for usual questions, normally along the lines of 'can you do this', and my personal favourite stupid question 'how good will it sound'...

This.
My whole schtick is about giving a much more personal experience than the typical studio. I give a ball park estimate online and then talk to the client about the details. Instead of a FAQ page I just tell people to contact me with any questions. Many times people just want a quick demo to get gigs. I am about to start a project where I am tracking the drums but then the band is engineering the rest and they will begin mixing on their own and then send it over to me for finishing touches and mastering.
Its definitely nice

Most of the questions I get asked are about the mechanics of the process. Like 'how do I get the files to you', how do I pay you', stuff like that.

cool...thx everyone. I posted this question in the womb forums also...between the responses here and the ones there, I believe I have exactly what I need.

Back