TBT - Fiddle Tune

keith.rogers

I found this as I was cleaning out some old GarageBand projects off an external drive that's getting repurposed.

It was recorded 6 years ago when my (now gone) M-Audio interface was new. I'm guessing the mandolin which is a stereo track was recorded using my (also gone) Sony ECM-MS907 (which was what I had used with the trusty Sony D6C I carried around to fiddle camps for probably 15 years at least). Guitar tracks are mono, so likely my Shure Beta57a, which was the first "real" mic I bought for home use.

Anyway, converted it to the latest GarageBand and then to Logic Pro but didn't do much other than slight balancing and levels. It was a proof of concept, hence the first and last time I tried playing anything like this :).

Turkey in the Straw (minor key version) Dropbox link

You should have stayed with it. It brings back fond memories of going to barn dances as a pre teen, back in the 60's, in them there hills. I liked it.

You should have stayed with it. ...
Ha. Well, I sold the mandolin earlier this year after seeing which direction the New Year's resolution to "play it or get rid of it" was going. But, be careful what you wish for, as they say - I've still got a fiddle somewhere. (Next year's New Year's resolution methinks...)

That's funny. My Father retired from the USMC. After dragging us all over the third rock from the sun, he moved us back to Lickwater WV. 4 families and a goat.

Within the first week of school, I met this little filly named Julie. She invited me to a barn dance. I don't dance but I wanted to go just to be with her. The first song played was the one you posted and we danced to it. The second time we got together, she invited me to her house for Sunday dinner. When I walked in the door, the first thing I saw, was her father sitting on a stump, trimming his toe nails with a machete.

OK, maybe a 12 inch butcher knife but his point was well taken. I was young and that's all I saw or could think about during dinner. I dated his daughter all through jr high, been to her house a hundred times, that man never spoke one word to me. Funny how life comes full circle.

I am the baby out of 4 boys. I have one son and five granddaughters. My youngest will be 15 in Feb. She brought her little boyfriend over two weeks ago for Sunday dinner. As soon as he walked into the door, I turned to my wife and said: Ya, I knew he was only fifteen and you can tell my parole officer I knew it at the time, when I shoved my fist through his bloody cake hole".

I looked this kid straight in the eye and the first words out of my mouth was, "do you think I was wrong for doing that, cause he made my little baby cry"? You know, the same one you are with now"? That kid could not even speak. He stared at the floor all through dinner. I walked outside trying not to bust a gut and for some unknown reason, he don't want to see my baby anymore.

My little baby went home and told her mother. Her reply: "if you think that was bad, wait till you turn 16. If you ever want to get married, keep them away from Papap"! Now I know how Julies Father might have felt towards me. It cost me a little $$$ and two dinners to get this kid to come around again, after all, she is my baby and I spoil her rotten. In the same breath, that young man is now aware that there is no where on the face of the earth, I can not find him. I got me two birds with one stone. I think a country song was made with this in mind. "Just cleaning my guns" or something to that effect.

Back